DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Upgrading Weather - advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upgrading Weather - advice
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Decided to upgrade to a texting or paging trailer based weather system.

While I am at it want to also get CCP, Ifamily, etc.

Have my car and two Jr so multicar would be great if possible.

Did lots of reading but many of the posts are older, and like all technology its always changing.

Thanks.

Configuration: 3350#, 582 C.I.,

60 - 1.24
1/8 - 5.53@ 126MPH
1/4 - 8.73@ 159MPH

3700#+210lb driver, FULL interior, through mufflers, 10.5 tire.
60'-1.333 (IN 4000ft DA! Joisy Math excluded; 1.25sec using JOISY MATH.) Wink
1/4 - 9.60@144MPH

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this...

http://altalabinstrument.com/

plus this...

http://www.ifamilysoftware.com/

nothing better.

That said, an Altronics Performaire Eclipse along with a good pair of eyes is all you need.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I agree on the Altalab weather unit.

I debated between iFamily and Crew Chief Pro, and ended up buying CCP. For me, the deciding factor was that I could tweak all of the weather factors if I noticed some things making my car move more than others. Of course, that can also be a negative as you can get yourself lost in a hurry. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

The biggest mistake you can make is buying this stuff and thinking you can turn your brain off, just dialing what the screen says. In fact, I really only lean on the computer when throttle stop racing or making an elimination run right off the trailer. When bracket racing, I use it more as a logging device and then study the effects of weather after the fact.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
The biggest mistake you can make is buying this stuff and thinking you can turn your brain off, just dialing what the screen says. In fact, I really only lean on the computer when throttle stop racing or making an elimination run right off the trailer. When bracket racing, I use it more as a logging device and then study the effects of weather after the fact.

This^^^

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

This^^^

^^^X3.
I don't T-Stop race, strictly no-box,/bottom-bulb. But my approach is the same - My old, hand-held Altronics Performaire unit is but one of many tools in the box. A prime example could be the final round of my most recent win. (Actually a double example - 2 different factors). The guy working the water box all day was perfect. (Isn't it incredible that is still a rare thing! Roll Eyes). He always laid down a perfect mist on the swale, for both cars each pair. Never a lake, never a dry box, or one side wetter than the other. Kept it clean, too.
Anyway, partly due to his consistency, I was able to push the tree all day. Car was on, driver was pretty good that day, but the 1/4 and semis were both shaved a bit too close for Pro ET, (.008 & .011), and with the air getting better, car was making more power, which DOES affect the vehicle reaction time. I felt a redeye coming. So I dropped 2 pounds out of the fronts in the lanes. (From 38 PSI to 36, on my car 2 PSI = .010 in R/T). And as I looked forward, I noticed a different guy in the box, spraying a ton of water, on a cold night. That meant 2 things to me - I would need to do a much longer burnout to get the tires dry, then hot - And I dialed up 2, just to make sure I could get there. (I had been carrying 2-3 all day, backing into some at the stripe, dumping some others if I couldn't catch them, or if they got around me). So now I knew I could be as much as 5 under, but if it slipped a bit, might be dead on, or close.
I am not aware of any weather station that would have provided advice for either one of those factors - (Better air = Quicker R/T = Drop front tire pressure = Rolling 10 out of a box; and Different water box condition potentially slowing you by 2-4 or so).
Like him or not, what Ed often says about "the guy wearing the brain bucket" is true. The intensity of the mental aspect of this sport, the hundreds or thousands of microscopic and split-second decisions that we have to make during a race day, and going down-track, are probably what I thrive on the most. If there was a device that automatically put a dial-in on the car, and put the car on that number every round, and launched it with a perfect .000 light each time, I am certain I would quit. Weighing all of the available information and trying to convert that into a competitive run at both ends of the track is a huge challenge for most of us, and even our best is sometimes bettered by the other guy. It is a mental exercise, but the more tools you have at your disposal, (like the paging system the O.P. is looking at), can certainly improve your odds. Sorry for the long post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the comments.

I am looking for additional input to make decisions with not the only input from the system.

I went with Ifamily and after talking with Ifamily they sold me on the davis weather system. I was heavily leaning towards the altalab - but they said altalab is not water proof and nearly every weekend here in PA we get rain and they said it will definately ruin Altalab and other units. I dont need another item to worry about getting into the trailer if it mists. This unit is built to be left outside so no worries about rain/water.

Moreover they swore up and down the sensors and other components are identical or better in the Davis.

The other thing I liked about the Davis is it doesnt require a generator to be running to operate. Works off 2 C batteries. Came with wind speed/direction, and their ifamily software has texting which is perfect. Just needed to add a hot spot from local verizon for $100 unit and $20 bucks per month.

Got software, weather system with wind direction and speed, and texting capabilities for 1100 bucks. Was prepared to spend 2200.

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm ok with software if you are using it to organize your data in a way you can better analyze it. But IMO, the prediction software can be thrown out the window. Not that it doesn't work. But nearly every racer I know who uses one, gets to be reliant on it. And then they stop using their heads. Plus, make changes to the car, and throw that prediction data out and start over.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of MM Racing
posted Hide Post
I use this with CCP (text enabled):

Altronics Performaire PC

It works well with CCP.

-Phil Watkins
Midnight Machine Racing

Posts: 133 | Location: Arizona | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post