DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dart 355 port work
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dart 355 port work
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Is there much of anything to be gained from porting dart 355 heads? I posted a few years ago about this but can't find the thread anymore. I went ahead and just put new rings and bearings in it the last time it was apart, but I am looking for a little more power this winter when it comes apart again. It is on a 4.5 by 4.5 572, on maximal gas. I'm looking for the cam card now (specd by bullet) but I can't seem to find it (was told in original post cam didn't seem right). Currently runs mid 4.9 in good air. 9 inch fti flashes to 6200 shifts at 7 with a fall back to around 6500 goes through between 68-6900. Also does anyone have a cam they would recommend for this combo?

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
head porters are snake oil salesmen. They'll tell you what you want to hear and purty them ports up but not one of them will guarantee you'll actually run quicker and faster after they laid their magic hands on your junk.

If you have $ burning a hole in your pocket, Get a good valve job done, streamline the guides and have the bowls blended and spend the $ you saved on something that will actually have your car running quicker.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Aren't Dart 355 already cnc from Dart? Asking for a friend.

Posts: 73 | Location: Lake Worth Fl. | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
Is there much of anything to be gained from porting dart 355 heads? I posted a few years ago about this but can't find the thread anymore. I went ahead and just put new rings and bearings in it the last time it was apart, but I am looking for a little more power this winter when it comes apart again. It is on a 4.5 by 4.5 572, on maximal gas. I'm looking for the cam card now (specd by bullet) but I can't seem to find it (was told in original post cam didn't seem right). Currently runs mid 4.9 in good air. 9 inch fti flashes to 6200 shifts at 7 with a fall back to around 6500 goes through between 68-6900. Also does anyone have a cam they would recommend for this combo?

Yes of you have asset of stock 355's they can be improved! But not sure the heads are the choke based on your motor info. Post the cam card first but I can tell you your rpm range is likely too low. Also post how much power your looking for and the full info on the car.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
head porters are snake oil salesmen. They'll tell you what you want to hear and purty them ports up but not one of them will guarantee you'll actually run quicker and faster after they laid their magic hands on your junk.

If you have $ burning a hole in your pocket, Get a good valve job done, streamline the guides and have the bowls blended and spend the $ you saved on something that will actually have your car running quicker.

Ed

There are those in all ends of this racing game but!!! Not the guy I use!
Big Grin

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xtended_s10:
Aren't Dart 355 already cnc from Dart? Asking for a friend.

Yes they are.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
They are, I'm just not entirely sure that it is to their potential. I know I am going to be putting a different intake and cam in, I'm just not sure if there is much to gain from the heads. It is a 2010 Miller monoshock and I weigh about 300 pounds. I know it has to be somewhat heavy but I've never taken it over scales. No wing or nitrous and non beadlock wheels though. 3183 tires with a 4.10 gear and 1.80 first gear.

Posts: 66 | Location: Glen Burnie | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm just not entirely sure that it is to their potential.

You can bet the dollar to HP ratio is not favorable. I don't know if they've changed, but Pro 1's use to be pretty thin castings. You likely don't have much meat left to play with.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2334 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I think your missing et is more of a combo issue. I run those heads on a 598, and ran 4.70 at 148 this past weekend about 2000 ft DA and crossed the scales at 2010 lbs. 03 miller rocker arm car. Big bubbas and 1.69 low gear. My engine man did do some work on the heads by hand and while it picked up flow on the bench, I wouldn’t say it picked up any et. I think it did gain a bit of consistency though. He keeps telling me efficiency equals consistency.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
“You can bet the dollar to HP ratio is not favorable.”

I agree with this. My take is the people at Dart are pretty sharp and designed a good CNC program. Maybe there’s some to gain but I doubt it’s much. Our 540 has out of the box dart 355s and has been 7.40 at 180 in good air. 4.69 or 70 at 147. 1930# Miller with a terminator, 1.80 low 4.10 gear on 3183s.

I agree with it being more of an overall combo issue. It seems like the 4.5 square 572’s don’t perform as well as other combinations for some reason but I still think you have more to find. Have you tried shifting it higher?

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by top189h:
They are, I'm just not entirely sure that it is to their potential. I know I am going to be putting a different intake and cam in, I'm just not sure if there is much to gain from the heads. It is a 2010 Miller monoshock and I weigh about 300 pounds. I know it has to be somewhat heavy but I've never taken it over scales. No wing or nitrous and non beadlock wheels though. 3183 tires with a 4.10 gear and 1.80 first gear.

A stock 355 can support over 900 HP, from your performance I ballpark your power 850 to 875 guessing at a weight of 2100 pounds, a heavy dragster! Making more power is not just working on the heads, the entire combo matters. These heads can support 1000HP with not a lot of additional work to give you an idea.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
“You can bet the dollar to HP ratio is not favorable.”

I agree with this. My take is the people at Dart are pretty sharp and designed a good CNC program. Maybe there’s some to gain but I doubt it’s much. Our 540 has out of the box dart 355s and has been 7.40 at 180 in good air. 4.69 or 70 at 147. 1930# Miller with a terminator, 1.80 low 4.10 gear on 3183s.

I agree with it being more of an overall combo issue. It seems like the 4.5 square 572’s don’t perform as well as other combinations for some reason but I still think you have more to find. Have you tried shifting it higher?

The 355 is a good head out of the box which means Dart did a good job! This head has been around for a long time also, things don't stand still! And with any production head, compromises were made for varies reasons, the first being user friendly to 99% of the combinations out there so they would sell! So there is room for improvement without busting your wallet!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dart 355s on 14.2 582.SV2927 manifold.1057HPat 7400 808tq at 6100.8.45et at 162 mph in 3000#Camaro.Heads were petted on by Johnny Hasak at CFM South.2.350 intake valve 1.85 ex crossections tuned ,430-440 cfms.manifold also tweeked Q16 fuel Dale Cubic carb.Flow bench ,Dyno, Track results.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post