DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Oil Pressure Issue?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oil Pressure Issue?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted
We are having a weird problem with oil pressure in our Brodix aluminum BBC.
Usually, it is basically a straight line, but now the pressure goes up with RPM, until about four plus seconds, and then it goes up and down. Never gets below 50 PSI. The bearings look great!
We added another quart of oil to the Moroso 20385 Wet Sump, 6 Quart, pan with no change.
Sensor problem or oil pump problem or ??
Any ideas?[IMG:left][/IMG]

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Have heard a few oil pressure sensor problems with race pack I’d try another sensor or add a mechanical gauge and compare

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
change the filter it likeyis the issue

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Is the sensor mounted directly to the engine?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
This just started after running with steady oil pressure?

That pan is a 7 quart pan, not 6, also the pans with trays slow oil return to the sump and usually need another 1/2 quart.

From the graph it appears you have an oil return problem and not enough oil to start with.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have you drained oil right after run to see if its airieated ? The A/Fuel car I help on has issue and previous owner stated he did not kn ow why. He does not like the windagetray and leaves out,added more oil to see if it helped,then added more aqnd it got worst. Problem not totaly gone but has gotten better,Like to guess what two thing have helped?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Hell if you think that is bad, mine would scare you to death, block mounted sensor, remote mounted sensor it didnt change. pressure fluctuates but is always above 55 at the low point except when I lift and both main and rod bearings always look perfect so I just dont worry about it. I also kill the engine pretty quick after the stripe.
Also a Brodix aluminum block, Williams pan which is a Moroso knock off IMO. I run 10 qts total

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Moroso 20385

You don't mention the pickup type.
Inlet cavitation?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Have heard a few oil pressure sensor problems with race pack I’d try another sensor or add a mechanical gauge and compare

It has a mechanical gauge on the dash, but I am not going to ask the driver to start looking at it, running between 170 and 200+ MPH!

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
change the filter it likely is the issue

We have run an Oberg canister filter for a long time with no issues. We check the filter element regularly. No junk on the element at all.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Is the sensor mounted directly to the engine?

No, we have a 6" braided steel flex line from The Brodix outlet right above the filter to the Racepak sensor.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
This just started after running with steady oil pressure?

.... In the last few races. almost a straight line on the graph before that.

That pan is a 7 quart pan, not 6, also the pans with trays slow oil return to the sump and usually need another 1/2 quart.

.... We alway run 7 Qts. and added a Qt. after noticing the oil pressure fluctuation recently.

]

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
You don't mention the pickup type.
Inlet cavitation?

We run a billet Titan GMSPT 110D oil pump with the inlet about 3/8" inch off the bottom of the pan.

Pump/Pan/Filter are the same as we have run for a long time.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
quote:

It has a mechanical gauge on the dash, but I am not going to ask the driver to start looking at it, running between 170 and 200+ MPH!

GoPro it.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:

GoPro it.

Good idea!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Like to guess what two thing have helped?

No, I don't really want to guess! That's why I am asking!

What are the two things?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had an issue similar to yours.
As much as I hate to say it, but Titan pumps work to well.
I don't mean any harm towards Titan as I spoke with the owner before and he seems like a good person.

In my experience, titan pumps are to efficient.
Try to find a way to get the oil back to the sump somehow. They move a lot of oil. Remove any flashing, add drain back lines in order to get the oil to the pan.

My 2¢s and my experience

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
quote:

GoPro HERO video bid your friend

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
I GoPro every pass to watch the car/tire off the line.

I can build a roll bar mount to record the dash on a pass.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
He freed me I was going to say go pro it also

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post