New
Find
Notify
Tools

slow start
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
totally re did my dragster over the winter and having a slow start with msd grid. i know it has to spin at 900 rpm to fire. new starter on a remote ford solenoid, new master disconnect switch new battery odyssey 1200 mjt, new cable hot and ground, grounds all filed down to bare metal for good contact, engine block grounded to chassis, battery to chassis. the only thin that i have noticed out of ordinary is my delay box when i cut off master power power slowly bleeds off. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Rodney Byrd

Posts: 6 | Location: Roll Tide Roll | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
some switch panels have a voltage drop feeding ign .may require a dedicated relay circuit

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Do you still have the old starter?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4450 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
whose starter and what size cable?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Total Chaos:
totally re did my dragster over the winter and having a slow start with msd grid. i know it has to spin at 900 rpm to fire.

I don’t think my sbc with the spark plugs removed would crank half that fast.

What do you mean by slow start ??? Are you saying it cranks slow ???

If your MSD ignition +12v main feed connection is not coming directly from the battery or battery master disconnect, imho it is not wired properly.

The reason you wire this way is that the ignition has the maximum amount of voltage available when cranking the engine.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Even efi doesn't need 900 rpm to start. I don't think starting speed is the issue.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6377 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
battery cable new 1.0 gauge
new starter CSR (big)new in the trailer (2 y years) old starter CRS (big) on motor new (2 years) I don't know if i mentioned all aluminum BBC Huntsville Engine 588 engine block grounded to chassis

Rodney Byrd

Posts: 6 | Location: Roll Tide Roll | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
starter is JUNK! Sell it and buy a Tilton Severe Duty and it will spin like the plugs are out.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hammons Motorsports
posted Hide Post
Is the cable "battery" cable....

If so, welding cable is a much better option...

More strand surface moves more amperage...

We use #2 welding cable for all battery feeds and grounds, starter cables, etc....

Never an issue.

Bill Hammons
Hammons Motorsports

Old age and treachery, if we only knew then what we know today.....

95 Spitzer, 1.041 60 ft, 4.76 @ 142.85, 1740 lbs, 421" SBC

10/9/2016: 1.049 60 ft, 4.721@143.80 at 1780 lbs.

4/15/2017: 1.017 60 ft, pedaled 4.742@134 at 1780 lbs.

Posts: 943 | Location: Georgetown, KY | Registered: May 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
are you giving it full timing at the start? IE are you at 32 degrees at 0 rpm, because if you ramp your timing in, let's say 15 degrees at 0 and 32 at 750 rpm. the engine will spin a lot quicker.

that being said, it still should start and I would be doing a voltage drop test to find the problem.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post