Find
Notify
Tools

Battery
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted
What types are some of you using? 12v system.
I am running an alternator as well.

Interstate, Exide?
Optimas?

Pro's/ Con's?

Thanks

Joe McBride

Posts: 18 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with the XS AGM batteries......

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@194
Less Boost Than You Think
www.killerrons.com

Posts: 1883 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had same Optima battery for years with no problems. Also with battery located right behind my seat on my Altered I will never run a typical acid battery. I feel my safer with enclosed gel type.

Posts: 1179 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have had same Optima battery for years with no problems. Also with battery located right behind my seat on my Altered I will never run a typical acid battery. I feel my safer with enclosed gel type.

Posts: 1179 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't someone be along any time now to tell him that 12V isn't where it's at?
Oh, I'm using a Braille and an alternator.

Does your party represent personal responsibility?
Bill of non rights: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/law/non-rights.htm

Posts: 4282 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of B-rad2416
posted Hide Post
Odyssey

Posts: 20 | Location: Loxahatchee, Fl | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
2 Optima Red

No alternator

Posts: 183 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
AC Delco in my door cars for the last 25 years.

Optimum = junk!

Braile in my dragster.

Always run an alternator.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 7762 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-rad2416:
Odyssey

X2

Posts: 574 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Walmart junk now.

We used to get our batteries from Harris Battery.Whenever I picked them up, the guy asked what brand I wanted. The only difference was the actual sticker. I always asked for whoever had the best warranty in case I was out of town.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 442 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Optimum = junk

?

Posts: 183 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
I am running a Sears Platinum AGM that has been in my car since July of 2008. I have always run an alternator and always used a battery tender 24-7 when it's not at the track. I would buy another in a heartbeat. I'm not sure who makes them for Sears though they can probably be bought cheaper under their brand.

Just remembered it was made by Exide at that time.

Curtis

Posts: 666 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I run two optima red tops in mine and no alternator. mine are over 5 years old so if the junky things take a sh1 t I can't complain. the one in my Dad's car is close to 8 years old. just put 2 in my dragster.

ep-junky a5s optimum batteries

Posts: 226 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 71 Chevelle
posted Hide Post
Gel and/or dry cell is the way to go then?

Joe McBride

Posts: 18 | Location: Wilm., DE | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
AC Delco in my door cars for the last 25 years.

Always run an alternator.

Q:Who makes ACDelco batteries?

A:Quick Answer -Middle East Battery Company manufactures batteries for General Motors parts supplier ACDelco. Middle East Battery Company is in Saudi Arabia; Wisconsin-based Johnson Controls owns 49 percent of the company and investors own 51 percent.

Harris Battery lists Johnson Controls on their website. The difference between brands is in the sticker and warranty. I would love nothing more than to go there and snap a picture of all the different brands "labels" they provide.

https://www.harrisbattery.com/our-suppliers

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 442 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 Chevelle:
Gel and/or dry cell is the way to go then?

In my case I say gel battery simply because I feel much safer having an enclosed gel battery right behind me. I really do not care what wannabe says about Optima mine has worked quite well and would not hesitate to buy another when mine finally bites the dust.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of CURTIS REED
posted Hide Post
Just looked and Johnson Controls is who makes DieHard batteries now. Won't be buying another there. Gonna go with Exide from Amazon when this one gives up.

And yes, AGM is the way to go.

Curtis

Posts: 666 | Location: KIEFER, OK. | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
FYI, AGM=Absorbed Glass Mat

They are non-spillable. I once mounted one on it's side.

272" Spitzer
Bednar Racing Engines 540
The Blower Shop XR1
3.73@194
Less Boost Than You Think
www.killerrons.com

Posts: 1883 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Optima Yellow Top here. I don't think they are junk. I use one in the car, and one as an auxiliary battery to plug in my water pump and fan when I get back to the pits. Can't kill the things. My auxiliary will last a full two day race no trouble.

Posts: 153 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Been looking at batteries a bit myself. Does anyone run 1 Braille b3121 with an alternator ? I have a belt fuel pump, also run alky so the water pump only runs when the car is running.

'12 Track & Top Class Champion

Posts: 2064 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post