Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster Lift Support
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster Lift Support
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I just picked my new trailer this weekend and was setting things up yesterday. I am wondering what people are doing to support the center of the dragster when lifting the nose up.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1884 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Been hauling mine lifted since 2007, never put anything under it, and never had a problem.

Posts: 50 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ive seen some use modified pipe stands and a support from the roof to the cage

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2016 Miller
2015 NHRA D4 Champ!
2009 IHRA T/D #7
2009 IHRA D4 T/D R-up
2007 IHRA D4 Top ET Champ

http://www.killerrons.com/
Rolla Competition Engines

Posts: 1217 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
What the heck is all over your wires and floor, rocks? You racing in a rock quarry?

Man am I spoiled by my local track! No grass, no rocks, no dirt, and no escape from the scorching blacktop in the heat of the summer except to sit inside our enclosed trailers with a fan running!

Back to your original question, no clue, I don't own a dragster.

Posts: 1409 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
No support planned or possible. When my dragster is hoisted up, my firebird will be below it.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 7755 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Just curious, when you haul a dragster normally I would assume you have a bladder supporting the center of the car, I know I do.

Why wouldn't you support it when using a lift?, obviously you cant if there is a door car under it, in that case why not rachet strap from the cage to the ceiling? I have seen that allot.

2014 Texas Motorplex Electronics and Quick open wheel track champion

Posts: 709 | Location: On the the dark side now | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Steve, all I can say is that I have several friends with this setup and none are supporting the car in anyway when there is a door car under it and all have been going down the road like this for many seasons.

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 7755 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
What the heck is all over your wires and floor, rocks? You racing in a rock quarry?

Man am I spoiled by my local track! No grass, no rocks, no dirt, and no escape from the scorching blacktop in the heat of the summer except to sit inside our enclosed trailers with a fan running!

Back to your original question, no clue, I don't own a dragster.

Snow?

Does your party represent personal responsibility?
Bill of non rights: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/law/non-rights.htm

Posts: 4392 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
LOL yes it snows here up north haha.

My yard is full of it right now and I wanted to get started on the trailer. Bucky my thoughts exactly. I have always used a bladder with all my dragsters. I would think this would need supported. My car is also double suspended so I need to lock it down. I was thinking of making a frame saddle and put a d ring in the floor and pull down some so it wont bounce.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1884 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We ran with a support pole like this under the seat area and curved the top to cradle the bar. We noticed that the car bounced a lot less going down the road.

Quick Tools Support Rod

Posts: 108 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Bob What do you think about a STIFF 50/50 shock attached to a trailer roof beam and to dragster main hoop to stabilze it?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12234 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Always support the car when it's in the air. I fit my 240" mullis, golf cart, and a fox mustang with 6 Ft. of cabinets down the driver side. All this is done with a chassis support under the car. it's just round tube bent to hold the same chassis bladder used if the car was on the ground. The bladder sits on top of the base and slides under the car right under the drivers seat and inflate like you would if the car was on the ground.

Ed is wrong that there isn't room. Where the support goes the car underneath can't even get that far up without hitting the roof against the dragster.

Posts: 486 | Location: Gator Nation | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
ED follows the advice of those he personally knows that have been hauling this combo for many years

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLDuck:
Always support the car when it's in the air. I fit my 240" mullis, golf cart, and a fox mustang with 6 Ft. of cabinets down the driver side. All this is done with a chassis support under the car. it's just round tube bent to hold the same chassis bladder used if the car was on the ground. The bladder sits on top of the base and slides under the car right under the drivers seat and inflate like you would if the car was on the ground.

Ed is wrong that there isn't room. Where the support goes the car underneath can't even get that far up without hitting the roof against the dragster.

If you could post some pictures that would be awesome. sounds like what I am looking for.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I ran all over the place with one dragster hanging and never put a bladder under the one on the floor and never had any problems because of it so don't believe the hype.

A trailer isn't as violent inside as most think, I left a wrench on one of the wheelwells inside then drove 1300 miles to Florida and the wrench never fell off.

Posts: 167 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
In the days prior to bladders I knew of plenty of broken chassis in the trailer, including mine. Today with suspended cars, the suspension takes the beating. So you can put miles on the shock at the track or in the trailer. Some won't have any troubles. Some don't travel on Illinois roads.

Posts: 4392 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Danny Nelson made a stand to hold his bladder to support the car when it was in the air

Posts: 4 | Location: Gray LA. | Registered: November 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Ciglar:
I ran all over the place with one dragster hanging and never put a bladder under the one on the floor and never had any problems because of it so don't believe the hype.

THIS^^^

Ron Ciglar...KNOWS

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that a few years ago the rage was you absolutely had to have a bladder to support the dragster during transportation or it will destroy car.

But you do not need any support when lifted?

Seems contradictory to me.

Posts: 1207 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It all comes down to choice really. You can follow the advice of a few, who have never had a problem, and take your chances. Or you can listen to the advice of those who have seen broken chassis of many major brands sitting instead of racing for the day because it bounced its way to the race track. I don't follow the herd mindlessly. And I take chances on some things that others don't. It's up to you. You have heard the FACTS. And if you are so broke dyck you can't support the middle of your dragster then you deserve worn out shocks and broken chassis. Big Grin