DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Measuring Wheel Backspacing ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring Wheel Backspacing ?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Measuring Wheel Backspacing ?

This picture is how Bogart says to measure wheel backspacing. Is this how other wheel manufactures measure backspacing ?

To me ( just what I think ) to be uniform from one wheel to the next, would one measure from the rear inside wheel edge where the tire seats against to the back of the wheel for this dimension?

If the lip turn out and thicknesses are different from wheel brands , measuring off the rear lip would not be accurate.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
If the lip turn out and thicknesses are different from wheel brands , measuring off the rear lip would not be accurate.

no need to re-invent the wheel.... youre not ordering your backspace within 64ths dont worry bout it.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I have a straight edge cut down that fits right on the inside edge and all the wheels I measure always seem to be right on what they should be or what they need to be.

My new Holeshot wheels that were ordered with a 6.5" b/s measure 6.5" using my method.

Splitting hairs really, but I guess the outer edge could be a 1/4".

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
I have a straight edge cut down that fits right on the inside edge and all the wheels I measure always seem to be right on what they should be or what they need to be.

My new Holeshot wheels that were ordered with a 6.5" b/s measure 6.5" using my method.

Splitting hairs really, but I guess the outer edge could be a 1/4".

The difference between using your method and the method that Bogart lists is 5/16” on my present Bogarts. Using Bogarts method they measure 4- 3/8" .

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I always have used the same (Bogart) method. It seems like Weld does not, as they publish their backspacing in even inches, and every wheel of theirs I measure is at a 1/2 inch increment. Example: Their 4" BS measures 4.5, their 5 = 5.5, etc.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post