DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fuel flow How much is enough?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fuel flow How much is enough?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I checked the flow on my fuel pump today. It took about 35 seconds to pump a gallon of fuel.This seems like enough to me but I was told this weekend I need to see more like a gallon in less than 15 seconds.Its gas dominator on a mild 454. I run the pressure at about 6 psi and the floats barely trickling out the sight plug.

Posts: 5 | Location: ****son TN | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
Given Horsepower x .50 lb fuel/hp = lbs of fuel for given horsepower
for a motor similar to yours

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
to add i like the 50% more rule

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
let's do the math!!!

1 gal of fuel in 35 seconds = 102 gals per hr
3600 seconds / 35 seconds

102 gal X 6 lbs per gallon = 612 lbs of fuel per hr.

612 lbs of fuel / .50 lbs of fuel per HP = 1224 HP

so will it support 1224hp? no way, LOL this is free flow, would it support 400 HP? i would say all day long.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Using that math, my Enderle "0" pump will support up to 3200hp lol.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing this thing to be closer to 550HP, does that sound like enough to support that?

Posts: 5 | Location: ****son TN | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Used to work for a guy that was fond of using what he called "fuzzy logic". Most of the time it was maddening stuff.
But here is my attempt at fuzzy logic:
What is your car's 1/4 mile ET?
How much fuel does it burn in a pass?
Fuzzy logic would say if the OP had a 17.5 second turd, and it could drink every drop of fuel his pump can push out, that would equal 1/2 gallon. (35 seconds per gal as O.P. stated).
Of course, the fuzzy logic fails when you consider that maybe the engine was starving lean, and it might actually be capable of drinking a full gallon, and running 12's, but the pump couldn't produce enough volume. All of this probably sounds meaningless, but my point is that many of the automotive formulas out there are not useful when it comes to racing.
(Remember the laughable "Carb Size Calculators" that even Holley published - which used Max RPM and Engine Displacement as inputs? They all basically told you a 454 turning 7,000 needed about 675 CFM max?) Eek

All that being said, I would imagine a 1050 Dominator may be a bit large for a "mild" 454, (but your definition of mild could = someone else's wild).
And if it is a really mild 454, I think you are fine. It does matter where the pump is mounted, and how the system is plumbed, jetting, RPM, gearing, rest of combo, etc, etc. Pay attention to whether the car noses over down-track, any misfiring, compare your MPH to cars with similar ET, and definitely check the plugs. Or buy/borrow an 02 sensor setup, or find a shop with a fully instrumented chassis dyno.

Is this a Red pump, by chance?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post