DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Street/Strip 700R4 Converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Street/Strip 700R4 Converter
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted
Personal project. Reworked 350 TPI for a '86 IROC. TPiS Mini-Ram, cam, porting, etc.

I have never purchased a street converter. Where do I go for converter?

Thinking 2800-3000 stall.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My buddys 89 383 vette used a Trans Specialties.
Mid 12s@107mph.
I have the cam from it if you want it for your ride.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Hate that manifold but is VERY easy to install/remove!

The Accel Superam intake is FAR superior, but is a royal pain in the azz to install/remove! I put helicoils in the runners for the bolts towards the center to cut down on the cursing....... Wink

Anyway, with that manifold 3000ish stall would be just fine. GM's stock convertor for the Corvettes was 2400, used to be the cheap way to get more stall back in the late 80's.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
This is 100% a street car. I wasn't even going to use the TPiS until I looked at the OEM bottom. Just a nice IROC.. Picture before I lowered it.

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
looks good,especially for 30 yo ride.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SST386
posted Hide Post
FTI builds overdrive converters.

Posts: 361 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: May 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Call Jeff Gillette Chad
925 828 9699
Schucks Transmission
He does a bunch of those
I can message his cell if you need it.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4490 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I bought a new PTC converter for my 4l60e. I am very pleased. They local/one hour away so that helps on shipping.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Note try to stay with full size converter , for drivablity and shift feel, , use the corvette /v6 stator, and bend the fins on pump an d turbine side , , that will flash to 2700-2800rpm, and I recommend the superior HP or fairbanks shift kit, and kooler ,

Posts: 5 | Location: ontario  | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Chad years ago I had a black Iroc like new. I ran the stock converter. They have a slight stall. You won't like any slippage on a daily driver. It will get old fast.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Yank makes good street/strip converters for later model cars. I’ve used them in 4L60E’s and believe your era of 700R4 may have just switched to a 30 spline input, like later 4L60 transmissions, and should work. Something the tranny experts on here could confirm for sure.

Posts: 27 | Location: Vancouver, WA. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
Sharp IROC!!!! I use Thor converters by Danny Rottino. I have also had good luck with FTI and TSI.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
THANKS GUYS! I have talked to everyone mentioned! Like I said, I've never purchased anything for the street.

Here is what I built. Probably enough to break stuff! lol

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Let me know if you are still looking for a converter and need some help picking one out! we have TONS of options from mild to wild for lock-up converters.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post