DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    HT dragster 60' help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HT dragster 60' help
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I would really like to address the 60' times with my dragster.
Car runs 7.0-7.20 but only 60' 1.18-1.20
Car weights 1800 540 bbc/1.76 glide 4.10 gear
Leave at 4500 w/40lbs in the nose to keep the tires in the lights.
Several different size/brands of tires over the last 5-6 yrs with no real change in 60'
Only thing I've never changed on the car since new is a HUghes convertor.
60' never really bothered me because I mostly ran Super Eliminator w/ throttle stop (7.90 index) until that class died out to Top Dragster. But now there's not any tracks left out here in SoCal running bracket 1 , so I guess I'm going to have to chase nhra Div 7 races and run their bracket 1...errr I mean Top Dragster....I'm thinking if I can pick up a tenth in 60' I should get into the 6's enough to make sure I qualify.

Well, that's my sob story....any ideas where to start for the biggest gains.

Thanks,

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I would call Hughes and talk to them. It does sound like it may be in the converter.

MFI? Carbs? Gas? Alcohol? Assuming those are good the converter is where I would look first.

What is your current Stall?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3982 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I found a new B&M 20608 convertor in the trailer with "Try re: 60' times" wrote on the box....
I seem to remember that convertor worked really well in a bbc digger. Anybody still use one and can tell me what you think/thought of it?
Other than that I'll call Hughes tomorrow and ask them about a couple different convertors of theirs I have.

Thanks,

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The 608 was great in a 7.50-7.70 car.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 463 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave which Hughes converter are you running?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
GM-75+1/4 17-28 DEGREE C

And checking my notes it was built 2/23/2004
But its never 60' well. So I doubt somethings broke in it

Dave

F J B

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
4.30 gear,1.80 tranny,convertor needs to flash around 6800,get rid of the nose weight and any other you can, any weight.adust air and launch to keep front end down.dont try to stick the tire try to spin. this opinion assumes a lot of thingson your setup

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
oh and shift higher

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1391 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Several different size/brands of tires over the last 5-6 yrs with no real change in 60'
60' never really bothered me because I mostly ran Super Eliminator w/ throttle stop (7.90 index) until that class died out to Top Dragster. But now there's not any tracks left out here in SoCal running bracket 1 , so I guess I'm going to have to chase nhra Div 7 races and run their bracket 1...errr I mean Top Dragster....I'm thinking if I can pick up a tenth in 60' I should get into the 6's enough to make sure I qualify.

Thanks,

The heck with a convertor, I would to know the specs of a 540 that can run 7.0's

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
That's what i was thinking also.. 7.0 ????

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If its really that fast, Sounds like it is tripping 60 with rear tires. My old car would go .99x on front tires and 1.10+ on rear tires. Would run 4.4s when it would do that.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
7.0's 200 mph with a 20608 8" B&M converter, 1.18 60 ft!

Let's play pretend.... AGAIN!

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Needs a Turbo to run numbers like that

Me No comprendaa...lol

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dave throw a blue bottle on that 540 and get the correct cam to work with the nitrous. 1.18 60's & 7.00's will be in your rear mirror. Add a 1.80 however you may need to pull some rear gear out of it to reach.

Bob

Posts: 3080 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Needs a Turbo to run numbers like that

or a blower

quote:
Originally posted January 15, 2018 04:09 PM by imakehp:
I have the complete 671 EFI set-up just sitting and thought I'd build a 540-582 to run some T/D.
Thinking a 540 may run as good as a 582. Less cubic inches may make a 671 "look" bigger.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

Thanks,

The heck with a convertor, I would to know the specs of a 540 that can run 7.0's

You got me wondering about this....went out and dug through my shop notes from 8yrs ago and found some specs.....car weighs 1780....engine size is actually 589 (5x3.75)....hp was 1119 @ 7800......the Hughes convertor posted is whats in the car still....looking through my run book the quickest ET I've ever ran was 7.093 about 5 yrs ago.

Apologies for the confusion (lies?)
My question(s) still stand....

Dave

F J B

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Nice advantage you have is it's a light car.. Mine is 1805 with me in it (HT)

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted August 01, 2022 12:44 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

Thanks,

You got me wondering about this....went out and dug through my shop notes from 8yrs ago and found some specs.....car weighs 1780....engine size is actually 589 (5x3.75)....hp was 1119 @ 7800......the Hughes convertor posted is whats in the car still....looking through my run book the quickest ET I've ever ran was 7.093 about 5 yrs ago.

Apologies for the confusion (lies?)
My question(s) still stand....

so do my answers

1.036, 6.16@ 224