New
Find
Notify
Tools

Version #8
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
This past weekend at Irwindale CA I raced with my version #8 tune in the ECU. While it has been a slow process of learning to tune with the keyboard, I'm starting to gain confidence. The car is getting quicker & faster with every race.

This last race while the incremental times stayed the same. I got a pretty good change in 1/8 mile mph, that was the track length. Anyway, we picked up a solid 1.5+ mph. While it doesn't seem like a big deal, we ran the same times/higher mph with some pretty good restrictions:

Our base fuel is 100 octane/pump UL, this race we used 91 pump UL.

2 lbs. less boost, pulley change.

I did make a couple of other changes; I'm sure helped with the performance:

Changed the water/methanol injection ratio from 50/50 to 30/70.

I did add 1* timing at 7 lbs. of boost & above. It still needs more even on 91 UL.

Going back to the 100 UL for the racing back East. I doubt I'll monkey with the tune much more until the fall.

2BKING

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2478 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
efi is cool and a great learning tool,but not necessarly faster.still neat to learn from

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agreed with rusty. ECU gives you more options if desired and tuning is fast with a laptop.

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree with you both & didn't buy EFI thinking it was going to be quicker/faster than a carburetor! I like being able to make quick adjustments to both the fuel & timing. An added plus is the data logging & the Holley software in my opinion is the best! Wink

2BKING Smile

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2478 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Dont put a whole lot of stock in the 1/8 mile MPH or 60's at Irwindale. We have raced there for a couple of years and trust me they are NOT correct!

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 982 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Dont put a whole lot of stock in the 1/8 mile MPH or 60's at Irwindale. We have raced there for a couple of years and trust me they are NOT correct!

Al, do they stay consistent run to run/day to day? As long as I can try different things throughout the day and use the numbers reliably I'd be fine with that.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4439 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:

Al, do they stay consistent run to run/day to day? As long as I can try different things throughout the day and use the numbers reliably I'd be fine with that.

Irwindale put in a whole new timing system. I think they said when I was there it was the 2nd race with the new system. My incremental times were the same as Vegas. My mph increase was due to more methanol in the water/meth injection & the 1* more timing.

2BKING

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
BK, very true, Irwindale spent a good amount of money on the latest Port-A-Tree timing system and it’s amazing what this system can do information wise

L8R, Mike

Posts: 12265 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So tell me are the 60' clocks eye still well up the wall as it has been? Or are they now placed correctly?

Not trying to MF the place as we are happy to have a place to test, and they know how to put butts in the seats for sure. We only get to run a few times a year at best. Our only west coast race recently was run at LVMS and we wont be back with that at Irwindale til November. But thinking of bringing my 64 just for fun, well since we are done here in Vegas not alot of optoins and its the closest.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 982 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So tell me are the 60' clocks eye still well up the wall as it has been? Or are they now placed correctly?

Don't know, but like I said in another post. All my incremental times were the same as Vegas.

2BKING Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436