DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Soft tail shock data
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft tail shock data
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Anybody collecting shock data on their soft tail cars?
I used to, but tire shake killed my sensor. So time to invest in a new sensor.
With my last setup, I seemed to control the car dead hooked best if the initial movement was fairly fast to extend, and then gradual extension for another second and tapering off to just staying there except for bumps. The little bit of data with my new setup had a good bit of recovery (compression) after the initial extension. But I am also running only 4.5 psi to keep these Hoosiers from shaking. I'm maxing out my extension dampening as well as compression and lowering my two step to try to improve this. But this is a new ball game for me trying to avoid shake. I know the tire is a problem and I am replacing those before next season.(revalving shocks as well) I may be chasing after an impossible solution. But sure would like to see what others have for shock travel on faster soft tails.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a shock sensor on a 4link Hoosier tires

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Love to compare notes or just take a look. PM sent.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Anybody collecting shock data on their soft tail cars?
I used to, but tire shake killed my sensor. So time to invest in a new sensor.
With my last setup, I seemed to control the car dead hooked best if the initial movement was fairly fast to extend, and then gradual extension for another second and tapering off to just staying there except for bumps. The little bit of data with my new setup had a good bit of recovery (compression) after the initial extension. But I am also running only 4.5 psi to keep these Hoosiers from shaking. I'm maxing out my extension dampening as well as compression and lowering my two step to try to improve this. But this is a new ball game for me trying to avoid shake. I know the tire is a problem and I am replacing those before next season.(revalving shocks as well) I may be chasing after an impossible solution. But sure would like to see what others have for shock travel on faster soft tails.

What are you trying to do? What's your shock setup, mono or dual? If it's a mono shock deal you need to know the ratio of the shock movement vs the rear end movement in order to have the shock valved correctly.

As for your shock graphs, depending on your power level, most want a controlled extension at the hit, in the 3/8 to 1/2 range and not see any or minimal up/down movement after the extension. Both 4 link setup and shock dampening will control how much totalextension at the hit you will see.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bracket race. Go faster. I 60’ slower than I would like. 1.08 for 7.20
Mono 1:1 revalved Afco for additional dampening. I think I have been too aggressive at the hit.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo