DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD 7730 Grid Updates
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD 7730 Grid Updates
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
MSD 7730 Grid Updates

MSD has recently released a new MSDView4 version (4.4.9) that also contains a Firmware upgrade (1.8.0) for 7730 Grid. This Firmware version is in all the new 7730 Grids.

To update your MSDView4 Software go HERE to download and install. When connecting to 7730 Grid with this new 4.4.9 Grid software afterwards, it should asked to upgrade Firmware.

I’m always looking at how Grid 7730 can be made to work with ones desired objective. The racers that have contacted me about what they are trying to achieve have expanded what I believe is possible by their requests.

I’ve come up with new 1-2 shift RPM programming for Glides that can allow one to shift at a higher rpm after launch and prior to the normal shift rpm activation during the run if desired. A different version of my original Hail Mary switch.

I have also come up with a wiring method to eliminate the bypass plug needed when a delay box is removed for no box, and still activate the TB and line lock by simply unplugging the delay box and nothing more. No bypass plug needed.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
What changes did they make with the updates? Any issues with the new update on the track or when using files from previous version?

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
any release notes? Because if the upgrades do not effect anything I use then it doesn't make sense to change something that is working.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As MSD introduces new components that interface with 7730 Grid, the software updates add those new items to the MSDView folder with a programmable sample file. It also addresses any fixes needed to make them work correctly in the MSDView4 programming. Their favorite line in the software Revision History is Improved System Stability and Bug Fixes.

The new 1.8.0 firmware upgrade is an unknown. The prior SW version 1.7.6 has been around for 4.5 years. Only the engineers that write the code would have actual knowledge of what changed in this new firmware and why. I’d guess that they may have selected racers that prove these firmware changes out prior to release.

I loaded my spare 7730 with the 1.8.0 firmware and it’ll be installed into my car in April as I switch between my two Grids at the start of every season. I’m hoping it resolves some data recording problems I’ve experienced at times.

I can easily go back to firmware version 1.7.6 but doubt that’ll happen. MSD now has much experience with this 9 year old product. I have had great results with Grid for all 9 years as well.

Nothing wrong with keeping what you presently have. This post is just a FYI.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, do you know much about the 601x boxes for ls?

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 6014. The way I read I can use the same grid software as I have with my 7730/7720 combo?

Just noticed though that the 6014 has a built in MAP only goes to 20 PSIG of boost. Seems silly. The 6010 allowed an external map sensor, not sure if it recorded it though. Also, I used an old 6010 years ago and hated the software it came with.

I’m wondering if the 6012 still has an external MAP but maybe uses the newer grid software

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BJs Wild Ride,

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The 6010/12 are programmed with MSD Graphview. To see all the MSD products that use Graphview go to File Explorer and here’s the drill down to them… C: /Program Files (x86) / MSD

To view all the MSD Products that use MSDView4 from File Explorer…. Documents / MSD / MSDView.

Both Graphview and MSDView4 have sample files for each product so that you can see exactly what is offered in the product for programming prior to purchasing. You are working offline with the file, and if saved as a different file name can be loaded to the product when you attach.

What is nice about MSDView4, is that all the product folders (MSDView .mff) and data acquisition files (MSD ReView .dqi) are located in your Documents Folder. If deleting or updating MSDView4, these files remain or are added to but not deleted.

If you back up only the important folders in your HD (Documents is one of them), then you will always be able to have this saved .mff programming and .dqi data acquisition information.

The reason MSD updates MSDView4, is because it adds the new product programming in the MSDView Folder, drivers, software improvements and offers the newest version of Firmware embedded in the software if one desires to install it, which I always do.

The new MSDView4 software version updates install right over previous versions without any issues.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Did the new version, seems to work fine, it did not ask me to update my firmware for whatever reason.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Attach to Grid and go to Help/ About and look at the SW version. You might already have 1.8.0. installed. The software Version on the second line should indicate 4.4.9 if you downloaded and installed in your laptop.

If SW version is 1.7.6 and you have Software 4.4.9 on your laptop, go back to Help and select Check for Upgrade.

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
MarkeMark i pm'ed you

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Has anyone had trouble with the data logging since the update?
I updated software and firmware in the grid, everything seemed fine during time trials but I didn’t get any recordings during eliminations.
It’s set up to start recording when launch input is on and RPMs are over 2000. It’s been working fine until last Saturday.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ Try this. In Start Recording Tab, raise the Engine RPM Above to a value 500 rpm “less” than the Launch rpm. AND = Launch Input and State = ON. Verify that you have the SD card installed and showing how much recording space available by selecting the “Free Storage” channel in the Monitor or Gauge 1 Tab in the upper Right corner of Grid.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
^^^^^^ Try this. In Start Recording Tab, raise the Engine RPM Above to a value 500 rpm “less” than the Launch rpm. AND = Launch Input and State = ON. Verify that you have the SD card installed and showing how much recording space available by selecting the “Free Storage” channel in the Monitor or Gauge 1 Tab in the upper Right corner of Grid.

Sitting in the car right now..just tested the 'record' function by setting RPM on to 500 AND launch input=on. Seems fine now. Continuing test...

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted February 21, 2020 06:29 PM
MSD 7730 Grid Updates

MSD has recently released a new MSDView4 version (4.4.9) that also contains a Firmware upgrade (1.8.0) for 7730 Grid. This Firmware version is in all the new 7730 Grids.

To update your MSDView4 Software go HERE to download and install. When connecting to 7730 Grid with this new 4.4.9 Grid software afterwards, it should asked to upgrade Firmware.

have 4.5.8 on my software does it need firmware upgrade,im not having any luck with that

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
posted February 21, 2020 06:29 PM
MSD 7730 Grid Updates

have 4.5.8 on my software does it need firmware upgrade,im not having any luck with that

If you open MSDView on your computer and select Help / About, then select the Revision History tab, it’ll list some of the Revision updates. For Software the 4.5.8 is the latest update 2-26-2020. The firmware 1.8.0 is the most recent.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks mark ,i went to help and check for firmware update and nothing came up .i assume i have the latest update.been having some connection issues and was hunting issues.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
having some connection issues and was hunting issues.

Avoid continued plugging/ unplugging into the usb port on the Grid. Instead have a dedicated usb cable permanently attached to Grid for that connection. Try a different laptop if possible.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Avoid continued plugging/ unplugging into the usb port on the Grid. Instead have a dedicated usb cable permanently attached to Grid for that connection. .

Why is that? A permanently attached cable would be pretty hard to do on a dragster with limited space

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
quote:
quote:

Avoid continued plugging/ unplugging into the usb port on the Grid. Instead have a dedicated usb cable permanently attached to Grid for that connection. .

Why is that? A permanently attached cable would be pretty hard to do on a dragster with limited space

My grid is not accessible without removing the top panel with the windshield so I have a USB plugged in to the grid with a small strip of gorilla tape over it to make sure it does not vibrate out. The cord comes back and lays behind the shifter on the bar. I have a USB extension with a female end to plug that into that goes to my laptop.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My grid is not accessible without removing the top panel with the windshield so I have a USB plugged in to the grid with a small strip of gorilla tape over it to make sure it does not vibrate out. The cord comes back and lays behind the shifter on the bar. I have a USB extension with a female end to plug that into that goes to my laptop.