DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2003 Damon Daybreak 8.1L - P32 Workhorse
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Damon Daybreak 8.1L - P32 Workhorse
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted
We got our Motorhome and trailer out of storage this weekend. On our trip back home (Ohio to Michigan) about 130 miles into the trip I noticed it seemed liked the motorhome was chugging/spitting going up a steep hill when I started to give it more gas (right around 3,000 rpms) but it cleared up once at the top of the hill. About 15 miles later when we got stopped in traffic, the motorhome stalled. (no warning lights came out). It started right back up and when I put it in gear again it stalled. It started right up again and I cleared it out a couple times and it then idled fine in gear and drove fine the rest of the way home. On one more hill it chugged/sputtered a little but not as much as the first time.

I wanted to get some opinions on what could have caused this. I'm guessing some bad gas or some type of debris went through the fuel line/filter. I'm going to add some sea foam to the gas and monitor it closely to see if it does it again.

It's a 2003 Damon Daybreak, P32 Workhorse chassis with the 8.1L. 29,000 miles, changed the oil as soon as we got it out of storage and filled it up at the gas station.

I appreciate any input!

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fuel filter--may have never been changed

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a converter to me. Laughing Hard

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
I am definitely planning on replacing the fuel filter.

In trying to do my own research, I have read that some people say the coil or plug wires. Wouldn't either of those items turn the check engine light on or cause it to run rough all the time?

Posts: 127 | Location: Oxford,MI | Registered: July 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I had a 97 Georgia Boy with the same chassis / motor combo. It did something similar not long after I got it, although it never stalled. Replaced plug wires and all was good. There is a lot of heat generated in that area and I found that replacing them every year helped.

At the time, the only wires I could find that fit were the AutoZone brand wires. You will probably have better luck now.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
How hard is it to change the plug wires in a motorhome? If you remove the dog house, does it give you easy access?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not that you shouldn't change the fuel filter but you can check it by putting it in neutral and slowly giving it throttle, if its real bad it will stumble doing this before you get too high on rpm from a lean condition.

Replacing the wires is also a good idea if they haven't been.

If you go bad gas then I'd check it, when you change the fuel filter, you should see water in the fuel, drain is into a clear plastic cup.

If it stalls the restarts ok, I'm thinking bad gas or wires or something else along these lines,,, if the fuel filter was that plugged up you would think it wouldn't have any real power after restart. Maybe critters eat some wires!

Good luck

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the help and pointers!

So far, my plan is to replace the air filter, fuel filter, and plug wires.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
Head Gamez, Do you know the autozone part number? That way I can use it as a cross-reference for other plug wires. Thanks!

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I don't remember. I ended up taking the old set up there and finding a match. The trouble I had was with the boot. I don't remember specifics, but it was a ***** to find the right style boot with the right angle. That was 10-12 years ago.

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will keep searching around for a part number. I can always call the workhorse service department for a part number.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
They Eat plug wires,some guys put fans and duct work to keep them cooler.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 253 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
I called Workhorse during lunch and they said #5 plug wire is known to do that. The service tech manager said it creates a lean condition when pulling hard (going up a hill) and normal driving it seems fine, which is exactly what mine did.

He gave me the part number for the plug wires and plugs, so it looks like my Friday will consist of more motorhome maintenance.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Sounds like a converter to me. Laughing Hard

Funny stuff right there. I know I am going to he!! For laughing at that.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Not 100% sure but check this #
ACDelco Spark Plug Wire Sets 88862439

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
Thank you Eric for the Part #

The Service Manager at Workhorse said they use Taylor Plug wires set 72025 and Delco 41983/41-110 plugs.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Went to Moroso years ago and had similar issues with a 454 on the way down. Replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs and fuel filter for the ride home. Ran perfect until I hit some construction around Jacksonville. Dam stop n go for miles. Every time I would start moving from a stop, the motorhome would shudder real bad. Figured I burned up the trans or something. Limped it home and pulled the trans, had it rebuilt and stuck it back in.

The following spring, hooked to the trailer and off to the track with the same dam shudder in low gear. I had burned up the new plug wires on the way home from Moroso. Cruising was fine and idle was perfect but under a load, she would shake, spit n cough.

Most expensive set of plug wires I ever purchased, came with a new 4l80 transmission, lol.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
OUCH! That is a really expensive set of plug wires!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I ended up putting plug wires with ceramic boots on the motorhome. Got tired of melting the boots on 2, 4, 6 and 8.

Quick search, I see Accel makes a set for the 2001-04 8.1

https://www.holley.com/product...ug_wires/parts/9065C

Never ran the Accel wires but wouldn't be scared to try them.

"Features:
Ceramic boots withstand up to 2,000° Fahrenheit
8mm double silicone construction black wire rated at 600° F rated
500 Ohms/foot ferro sprial core offers the highest level of RFI/EMI suppression
Universal and custom fit applications"

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of bcMOD3X3X
posted Hide Post
Replaced the plugs and wires yesterday. The plugs and wires were definitely original and the plugs looked like they needed replaced. I didn't see anything melted or broken on the plug wires, so I'm guessing if it's a plug wire issue, that it was inside the boot. Also,the original wires were Delco 7mm and I replaced it with Taylor 8mm, I'm thinking that should help.

I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet, it looked pretty new when I got under the motorhome to look at it. If it still sputters going up hills, I guess the next step is to replace the filter.