DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Advise on new motor combo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on new motor combo
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted
Sold my 598 24 degree BBC. I have a lead on a set of used 12 degree brodix heads. Would this be a good upgrade from the 24 degree stuff. Will be building a 632 and wanting to make a honest 1050 to 1100hp. Have no practical experience with anything other than 24 degree. Looking for advise on 632 combo's. I can get these 12 degree heads with shaft rocker reasonable. Thanks

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
Ok so 12 degree heads I was looking at are not for sale anymore. So building a 632 on gas wanting to make 1100hp to put in a 2500 lbs SG car. Would like to run 5.0 to 4.90's. Old 598 ran 5.20's with BB3 extra ovals. So looking for advise on what head to run. I like Brodix products. Thanks

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Do a SR20.

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
just thoughts
more cubes
good heads
i think sr 20 limits you,its easy to slow down build something you dont have to run balls to the wall
my .02

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I am running 5.2x-3x with 50 less cubes than your motor you just sold so I would think that combo was off a little. My motor is nothing special.
Also I am 100 lbs heavier.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I can find out today if he still has it but my friend has a Sunset 615 9 degree engine for 22500. It should easily do what you’re looking for.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I just built a 632. My engine builder liked the 11 degree dart heads. Single 4 made more HP than you are looking for on mild tune.

Posts: 61 | Location: Long Island | Registered: February 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Pascal
posted Hide Post
If all your are looking for is an honest 1100HP max, go with the 20* heads (Brodix or Dart). We can make over 1200 with those heads on a 615-632 engines without going too crazy. Plus you will have a better valvetrain geometry than the BC head style and will have more longevity out of it (straigter pushrods, less lifter and rocker offsets etc). Obviously the BC if done right will make more power but will also be a bit heavier too.

Pascal Lecompte
Lecompte Racing Engines
TD3726
248-703-8505
plecompte@lecompteracingengines.com

Dealer for:
Callies
Cometic Gaskets
Comp Cams
DART
Diamond Pistons
Morel Lifters
PAC Springs
PSI Springs
Quick Fuel Technology
T&D Machines
Trend Pushrods

Posts: 18 | Location: Ortonville, MI | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
First off, you can make 1100 with a 24 degree head with those cubes.

With regards to a 12 degree and or any Big Chief style head vs SR20/Pro20 heads. The difference is power between the two versions is basically offset by the fact that the 20 degree headed motor is 25 pounds lighter than the BC headed motor! They basically run the same. I have built and run both also.

For this build in question, if budget allows, I recommend the 20 degree build.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
my only point is we all start out only wanting x on power and all of a sudden its not enough.leave some room for more hp

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
my only point is we all start out only wanting x on power and all of a sudden its not enough.leave some room for more hp

Rusty, I understand what point your trying to make! But unless your gonna build an all out TD/TS type motor with dual carbs etc , etc, (not your typical bracket motor) you will not see any difference on the time slip between these two combos due to the weight differences.

In addition, the newer 20 degree stuff now has 2.45" intake valves which will further close the gap in power between the too. Comparing the two motors, the 20 degree motor is 25 lbs lighter, has a better valve train and is cheaper to build. We do not race these combo's on the dyno.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So the 20* heads have better rocker geometry and pushrod angles than the Big Cheif. How do they compare to standard 23* heads on valve train geometry?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:

Rusty, I understand what point your trying to make! But unless your gonna build an all out TD/TS type motor with dual carbs etc , etc, (not your typical bracket motor) you will not see any difference on the time slip between these two combos due to the weight differences.

In addition, the newer 20 degree stuff now has 2.45" intake valves which will further close the gap in power between the too. Comparing the two motors, the 20 degree motor is 25 lbs lighter, has a better valve train and is cheaper to build. We do not race these combo's on the dyno.

point taken but my thought was on a new build add some cubes,and if doing that then the sr 20 may not be best option.just an opinion for something to think about.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
You can make 1100 horsepower on gas with a 632 and headhunter heads with no problem

Posts: 789 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of any used head hunter heads for sale

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree 1100 hp is very doable with the 23* head technology and 632 cubes. I am on alky and would think im around that hp number with my 632. I did run gas and it ran the same. rfd 24-b head.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
What’s your thoughts on this combo

https://www.racingjunk.com/BBC...d=5690&np_offset=107

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a fresh 598 low deck with 11 degree darts for sale and I have a customer with a brand new 582 Head Hunter for sale. PM me if your interested

Posts: 114 | Location: pa | Registered: September 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Suprodn,

Go with Spanky, you won’t be sorry! He is a stand up guy and great to work with!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
how much power did the 11 degree make sir.

1.036, 6.16@ 224