DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New build for 2023
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New build for 2023
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Sweet, Thank you for sharing your build. Awesome craftsmanship on your part.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Fabman is the MAN , very nice extension! The build is awesome!

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've been following this build since you started and knew it would be super nice but honestly, It's Amazing !!! It's so well thought out and the quality and attention to detail is second to none !!!

WELL DONE !!! Not worthy

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Glad you guys are enjoying following the build. It’s not don’t yet, but it’s close.

Working on tidying up some small stuff and trying to get ready to take the car to the chassis dyno to work on refining the EFI tune.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Spent some time today making sure all the hardware was tight. Got the front half of the car done.

I then moved on to get ready to put the car down on the scales and measure the IC to compare to the design I laid out before building the car in Performance Trends 4 link software.

I had to relocate the pads from where the Malibu was due to the shorter wheelbase on the Mustang.

With the new car sitting alot lower I was trying to figure out how I would get under the car and then remembered my leveling pads have long adjustable feet, so I was able to raise them up a couple inches. Hopefully that's enough to get under the car to measure as well as being able to set the 4 link and anti-roll preload.

One thing I did years ago when I got the scales years ago was to come up with some slip plates. What I came up with is two pieces of 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate, 12" square. I then got some Teflon sheets that were self adhesive and stuck them to the aluminum plates. Teflon against Teflon and there's no friction so the front end will settle easily and not have any friction to the scale pads.

Oh, and I also took some time to level the pads to each other as well as making sure each pad itself was level. It's crazy how far off a concrete floor can be.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Can you post the with driver scale numbers when you finish setting arb?

Posts: 2458 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Just gotta tell you. Fabman if you don't build cars for a living you should... What a piece of art. From pictures its as nice of a car out there... Pretty sure the nicest car at any track you attend.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
awesome build Fabman, are the inner tie rod ends 1/2x 20? and who makes the tierod sleaves or did you build them.

Posts: 2 | Location: SALISBURY, NC | Registered: January 18, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SKYJUNK:
awesome build Fabman, are the inner tie rod ends 1/2x 20? and who makes the tierod sleaves or did you build them.
the rack and tie rod kit came from Racecraft, Inc. they are 1/2-20 thread.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help, that is what i was looking for.

Posts: 2 | Location: SALISBURY, NC | Registered: January 18, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SKYJUNK:
Thanks for your help, that is what i was looking for.

Anytime!

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Kinda crazy around here lately, hadn't had much time to post updates.

Got the chassis setup done.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Have been working to have the car ready to put on the chassis dyno to work on the EFI tuneup. Last Thursday we took advantage of a sunny 72 degree day to use the dyno.

Didn't take but 2 hours or so to refine the tuneup. Two full pulls to confirm the WOT AFR was spot on from where it was on the engine dyno. The rest of the time was spent working on the midrange tune.

We almost done when my tuner heard a valvetrain noise. Pulled the valve covers and discovered three of the small 1/4" bolts that fasten the exhaust rocker stands to the 1 piece intake stand were laying in the heads. Checked the other side and no issue.

We decided to stop so I could take the car home and tear the valvetrain apart to see if there was any damage to the stand threads in the head.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
At home beginning tear down and inspection.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Looked everything over really good, no damage to the valvetrain, all thread inserts in good shape. Can only guess those bolts didn't get tightened properly upon assembly.

Going back together.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
The engine tune is about 80% done. All that's left is to work on cleaning up the idle and cold start which takes more time. It doesn't help that I was sold injectors that are on the large side for my HP level (120#). In reality this engine could easily get by with a 80#. Will take this season to see how well we can refine it and then decide if going to a smaller injector is warranted.

With the dyno out of the way I was able to swap on some fresh 315 Pro radials.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
One project I've put off is installing the seat belts. This Racetech seat takes up alot of space and the seat mounts are really close to the driveshaft enclosure.

The seat has to come out to bolt in the seat belts which means the driveshaft, driveshaft enclosure, and shifter have to come out before the seat can.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
One last interior safety item to install was the new custom Kevlar window net from Stroud. I had another custom window net made by another company when I built the car but wasn't happy with how it turned out. This one being Kevlar won't melt if there is fire or high heat in the car.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
The last safety item to install is the custom DRE diaper. I'll work on that one night later this week.

After that, just a few small odds-n-ends to take care of before the car is ready to test when the weather turns.

One other thing is I need to get the chassis certified. I'll call one of our two inspectors later this week to inquire.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I did suit up in the new Sparco -15 suit along with the Simpson Hybrid sport head and neck restraint I've used for years. Turns out there is an issue with the Simpson fitment wise. It's just not gonna work with my new suit and the Racetech seat. So I'm gonna order a Necksgen Rev2 Lite which I think should work better for me.

So a couple more weeks of taking care of the last of the To-Do list and we should be ready to test.

Guess I also need to take time to restock the trailer with all my tools and supplies.