DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lithium batteries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lithium batteries
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted
Any insights on the different brands of lithium batteries ? Golithium , Braille , Altronics , Lithium pros etc . Any favorites or disliked ?

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Not worth the expense and trouble for bracket racing. If you ever need a spare the likelihood of borrowing one at the track is low. And I’ve had experience with Lithium Pro and Braille. I’ll stick with the XS Power D1600.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Is there a cheaper way to lose 30 lb ? why could you not use whatever battery you had before as a back up ?

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a cheaper way to lose 30 lb ? why could you not use whatever battery you had before as a back up

thats what i did ,it finaly went bad setting the trailer.pro lithium for me

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
Is there a cheaper way to lose 30 lb ? why could you not use whatever battery you had before as a back up

I thought you had the Golithium? battery?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Not a huge difference in price between AGM and lithium by the time you buy the chargers also . Lithium batteries are not idiot proof like AGM batteries as far as charging maintenance and the lifespan seems to be longer . I would really like to hear opinions of people who have actually utilized lithiums .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted March 05, 2019 11:54 PM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:

I thought you had the Golithium? battery?

you are correct bruce,sorry

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you don't need to lose the weight I would stick with the AGM. No need for the big expensive charger. I do have one but it's my spare and I never use it.

I use an Autometer 16 volt maintainer for my XS D-1600 battery. This battery is now on it's seventh season. I started to replace it this year but why? I'll just keep using it till it quits.

If you need the weight savings of the Lithium I get it but for bracket racing?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I am taking weight out . I currently use xs 1000 batteries and xp,s charger . excellent stuff no issues but I wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience with lithium . I get it they cost more ...wth is 500.00 more when we spend thousands racing lololol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 67TSCHEVY2,

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
I am taking weight out . I currently use xp1000 batteries and xp,s charger . excellent stuff no issues but I wanted to know if anyone has firt hand experience with lithium . I get it they cost more ...wth is 500.00 more when we spend thousands racing lololol

Since you already have the XS charger, maybe look at replacing your current battery with the XS S1600, it's about 15lbs lighter than your xp1000 if I'm not mistaken... Then you don't need a new charger, and you can spend the extra $750+ on other ways to lighten the car..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Just curious, (I will never need a Li batt for my turd), do the Lithium automotive-type batteries act like the ones in cordless tools?
(They don't "run down" gradually, they work fine, then just flat-out drop dead with no warning at all)? If so, does a voltmeter show any noticeable drop off before they crap out?
Obviously this is not a concern if you run an alternator, but if you don't, seems like it could really mess you up in late rounds...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
from what I see the lithium recovers as quick or faster than a agm . I just wondered if anyone has real world experience they could share .

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Just curious, (I will never need a Li batt for my turd), do the Lithium automotive-type batteries act like the ones in cordless tools?
(They don't "run down" gradually, they work fine, then just flat-out drop dead with no warning at all)? If so, does a voltmeter show any noticeable drop off before they crap out?
Obviously this is not a concern if you run an alternator, but if you don't, seems like it could really mess you up in late rounds...

No noticeable drop off before they crap out. My Lithium Pro battery died at the ticket booth after making a lap with no warning. The guy in the ticket booth was pissed he had to get up and push my car because I couldn't open the driver's door.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 68TSCAMARO:
from what I see the lithium recovers as quick or faster than a agm . I just wondered if anyone has real world experience they could share .

Lithium Pro and Braille both went fully charged in about 10 minutes after making a run in a TS car with NOS.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
Also - depending on which lithium battery you decide on the size varies from a standard battery. Therefore you may have to fab up new hardware to secure the lithium battery in your existing battery box.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Happy with my Lithium Pros battery and charge. Did have an issue with the first charger and they replaced it and the battery with no issues. I have been able to make 4 runs without a charge so far. Didn't try any more runs before charging it. I have done nothing as far as maintenance with it. Also cranks the car way better than the XS it replaced.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 2 different brand lithiums and now use a Voltphreak. It has been good so far. Golithium works very well also and cheaper

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1517 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys that is what I wanted to know !

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Without bashing specific name brands...If making 100s of passes a year in a bracket car...after using 2 different brand lithium batteries in the last 10 years at $1000.00 plus for battery and charger, I will stay with 16V 46 lb. XS AGM with moroso charger.

No longevity, no reserve power, hates the cold/cool weather, WAY OVERPRICED!

JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post