DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Torsion or leaf spring axles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Torsion or leaf spring axles
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Getting stuff together for trailer build. Looking at both leaf spring and torsion axles,not huge cost difference.

Wondering what most here are running and likes or dislikes. To my understanding torsion give better ride(car has to be comfortable).Not sure about tire wear durability or any problems. Leaf springs have been around for ever and work,but if torsion has few benefits and minor cost then go wth best thing out.
Trailer is going to be 32' tri axle.Aluminum or steel part is still up in air,researching cost of aluminum build now.
Opions?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My tri axel has torsion. Only thing I have had in 20 years other than my 24ft open trailer which has springs. On it some of the parts/hangers have worn out and had to be replaced. I would go with torsion

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
Chris, I also have torsion on my triple axle and if you ever tear up a spindle, it's easily replaceable, no issue ever with mine, goes over RR tracks real nice

Posts: 47 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
If i was every going to build my own trailer or have one built, I would have a air suspension put in it. for a few reasons, 1. a softer ride and 2. so i could have the trailer kneel down, this would make loading and unloading easier along with my fat a@@ jumping in and out of the trailer 60 times a day.
I know the initial cost are higher, but might save me money in the long run. I got a $1000 in buffalo ramps to load/unload the car along with steps for each door.

I have torsion axles on my 53ft trailer and had one of the axles fail (rubber slipped). That being said, they ride smoother then my old leaf springs.

Joe

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sr4440,

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Had not thought about air ride and will check into it.

Idea is to build one as nice as can and if someone likes it enough so that I can make some money I will do another. In other words I am weighing cost,return on any extra and if it will make more attractive for resale.Little like I have to do when building a house to sale.

The air ride might be one of those things that while costing little more(or lot) may give it that something extra,which will help with resale.

Thanks for reply's.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Idea is to build one as nice as can and if someone likes it enough so that I can make some money I will do another. In other words I am weighing cost,return on any extra and if it will make more attractive for resale.Little like I have to do when building a house to sale.

The air ride might be one of those things that while costing little more(or lot) may give it that something extra,which will help with resale.

Thanks for reply's.

Air ride is a great idea. But the kits on the market are very expensive.
Honestly, as cheaply as the trailer makers can build them, and do build them, you will end up with a no name trailer with more in it than trailer makers spend I suspect. I'm not boo hooing the idea. I support building your own whatever. But selling it for any sort of profit I suspect will be difficult.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Understand the name thing. At same time there are some who rather have quality at comparable or slightly less price. Admittedly its lot smaller than those who buy name brand with reason it will hold value more.

I have numbers on build of steel trailer and theres good amount of room between cost and buying name brand. Still working on cost of aluminum build. I think cost there would make sale with decent profit harder mainl due to cost to build which would mean a lot higher final price. Have looked at a lot of trailer past cpl months and name brand stuff just don't impress me with exception of a few and those are upper end trailers.

Question of rather can make anything is what leading me towards the aluminum deal.Again like a house.I was told long time ago never build a house you wouldn't want to live in(design wise) because you may have to if it don't sale. Dang I am comparing something to work instead of comparing it to a drag race.Got to be a first. Plus I know me. I want a tricked out all aluminum trailer and I never stop till I get what I want.LMAO

Going to pull trigger on axles in week or two. So deciding which setup is more important than material of structure ,so back to original question,derailing my own post now.LOL

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

Thanks for reply's.

Honestly, as cheaply as the trailer makers can build them, and do build them, you will end up with a no name trailer with more in it than trailer makers spend I suspect. I'm not boo hooing the idea. I support building your own whatever. But selling it for any sort of profit I suspect will be difficult.

There is no money in building your own trailer, I can tell you that first hand. I saved nearly 50% from comparably optioned new stackers I priced out, but I did spend a lot of my own time working on it. I am happy with my trailer and would build another one, but don't expect to make any money doing.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Post some pictures as you go. Should be a pretty impressive project!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

Thanks for reply's.

There is no money in building your own trailer, I can tell you that first hand. I saved nearly 50% from comparably optioned new stackers I priced out, but I did spend a lot of my own time working on it. I am happy with my trailer and would build another one, but don't expect to make any money doing.

Kind of contradicting yourself. Spent 50% of equal,but no0 money in it. Time I can find or make,especially if money involved.Hell what am I going to miss Fox news at night and high blood pressure from it .LOL

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
torsion sets the trailer lower to the ground correct.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kind of contradicting yourself. Spent 50% of equal,but no money in it. Time I can find or make, especially if money involved.

I read Mike's statement to mean that you can save money, but you are going to spend so much time doing so that it wouldn't be a worthwhile way to make money. There are more profitable uses of time out there.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Hrd to make 10 grand in month or so. I have built a 24" conversion on FL70 starting with cab and chassis. I know the work in it. I build houses for living. Pretty much same thing except welder instead of nail gun. Aluminum instead of sheetrock(no Mexicans needed) and no damn county inspector to deal with. Also no mouthy never know what they want for more than a day home owners to deal with.
Hell trailer build will be relaxing.

If I spend month and half building (hourly wise) and only make 5 grand if sales I'm good with it.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I figure frame (floor) 2 days 3 tops. Walls framing 2 days. Roof structure 3 days max. Covering walls exterior using 2 sided tape used on skyscrapers 3 days.Costly but way quicker and slicker than rivets. Wiring 3 days,not my speciality.Interior walls and ceiling 2 days. roof cover using one piece roll,sealing and finalizing 3 days.

Trick crap,tie downs,storage racks, cabinets(may buy) air plumbing and others 2 weeks. 4 weeks Using down time on jobs for me and dad to do work. Plus will have guys working on jobs making me money while I play,yea it never works out too good there.

Heck just going to build another white trailer.LOL

Never planned on making a killing just some to contribute to getting to point where I have what I want with very little of out of pocket expense even if take 4 or five to get me there.

Hell 3 days under a house this week doing repairs for measly 2 grand and that laying on dirt and eating saw dust and I don't want to know what else. Only to get little extra to start this off.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
No disrespect intended. I'm just stating what I learned, and expected going into my trailer build. I think your off quite a bit on your estimated times to build, but maybe your faster than me. I built mine for two reasons, A) I couldn't afford a new one like I wanted, and B) I couldn't find a reasonably priced used one like I wanted. I spent almost two weeks just installing the exterior aluminum. About 4-5 hours a night. It's also kinda difficult to find a lot of the specialty trim pieces and stuff you never think about till your at that spot in the build. I spent hours on the net trying to find a recessed cam lock for the ramp door. Yes, I realize my time is worth something, but I mainly used my spare time to save over $20K. The coolest thing about my home built trailer is that it looks like everyone else's trailer at the track. If you need any advice or places to get parts, I may be able to help.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Non taken or meant back . I meant the contradicting comment of of joke than anything else.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ok now if wa are going to throw internet time into it I am screwed. As for build times they are based on what I pretty much did on motor home conversions. Plus I have a nack for figuring how to quicken the job after first time out as most do. It is something I have always done regardless the job. Plus think about doing a trailer wall. Lot less than doing house wall with windows,doors,corners and T's to layout,which I do every day and do it fast because thats where my money is made.Time figures are also on 8 to 12 hour days and two men doing work. Two men doing work can be equal to same work in 1/3 the time. Jigging stuff so you can do alone eats the hell out of time.LOL

All joking aside I already have list of those hard to find items,dealers and stack of catalogs. Fortunately Redneck trailers carry's a lot and are 80 miles away.Plus to friends who deal in trailer sales and have cpl contacts.

Building for lot of same reasons. Every thing I look at is in 25 to 35k range. I can spend a lot of time to gut that in half or even close to it. Plus I can have lots of extra's at very little cost.

I disagree about coolest thing part. Coolest thing is you did it yourself and probably have better built trailer than most who paid 2 to 3 times as much. JMO

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
As for the tape used on the exterior. Google 3M VHB trailer tape. 3M has a pamphlet listed on the web listing the two tapes used. Most places only want to sell it by the case, but I found a distributor in Texas(I think) that will sell it by the roll.