Bracket Talk
MW Pinion Support Bearing Replacement

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/8507061186

May 29, 2018, 12:27 PM
Cashflow
MW Pinion Support Bearing Replacement
Okay guys,

Any tricks to removing the front race from the pinion support? I haven't tried heating the aluminum yet. That might be next.

I have been using a thin punch to try to get the race out. No luck so far. Thought I would get on here and see if anyone has a trick I'm not thinking of.

I guess I could take a Dremel and cut the race and maybe that would work?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
May 29, 2018, 12:39 PM
rusty
vern i have been successfull with a punch and hammer so far .where i used to work we had huge bearings to deal with,one method if a puller was not available was to weld a heavy bead around the center of the race.let it cool or cool it and the weld will shrink the race

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

May 29, 2018, 02:17 PM
Cashflow
Rusty,

Just as I posted a friend I was texting at the time told me the same thing. I will probably do the weld bead thing if I can't get it out. And of course I meant the rear race on the pinion support, not the front. I already have the front one out. Thanks!

May 29, 2018, 02:58 PM
Cashflow
The weld trick worked. I took some 6013 and ran a bead all the way around. Cooled it off, smacked it a few times and it came out. It was just not going to budge any other way.

Now I have to get the new bearings installed and set up the rear end.

I'll be sure and put enough gear oil in this time. Big Grin

May 29, 2018, 05:05 PM
rusty
glad it worked vern

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

May 30, 2018, 07:49 PM
David Friedenberg
Just went through this exercise. Heated up the pinion carrier with an electric heater to remove the bearings.

Put the housing in the oven, 250F for 10 minutes. Bearings in the freezer in a plastic bag for the same time.

Dropped them in the housing.

Don't make it harder than it is!
May 30, 2018, 08:40 PM
Cashflow
David,

I started to try the heat gun thing but then I learned about the welding trick and since I didn’t care about that bearing race I just welded it. The heat gun might have worked but that baby was stuck.