DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Winch mounting??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winch mounting??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted
Bought a new winch and want to mount it on the floor along the side wall of the trailer. The winch has a plate that bolts to the bottom that holds the fairlead. The fairlead sits slightly below the bottom of that bracket. Because of that and the 4 bolt heads there is no way to just bolt the winch to the floor. I can use a 4" piece of channel iron to bolt the inch to and then weld angle to the channel and bolt it all down to the floor. Has anyone else run into this where you had to raise the winch up to be able to bolt it to the floor?
The winch is a Champion 4500.

Posts: 1452 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
mine is similar, the nuts set in the winch frame and the bolts come in from bottom.i got longer bolts and drillrd the floor,bolts come thru floor into nuts in winch to secure to floor

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1401 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have mine inside the front cabinet and needed to raise it so the cable would clear the lip of the cabinet door opening. I have it sitting on 2, 2x6s with bolts going thru the winch thru the 2 boards then thru the floor. I only pull in a dragster but it has never come loose. I would think a piece of channel with angle iron welded to it would work great, just make sure its bolted solid to the floor with some back up plates under the floor

Posts: 2411 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I took that off of it and bolted it to the floor next to the door. If I use it I have a small snatch block pulley that I put on the center floor tie down that I added, so it makes a 90* turn to the car.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Mine is like Rusty describes but the fairlead sits a little below the bottom plate so if I did it like he described I'd still need a plate to raise it up about 1/4". I could do it that way.
I have a winch now that I just attach to the D ring in the middle of the floor. I plan on using that D ring for a snatch block.
I plan on having a metal plate under the floor where I mount the winch and might weld a support under there too. I originally planned on the winch in the front of the trailer and when I replaced the rotted out flor I welded plates for the winch to mount to. Then I installed cabinets up there and don't want to put the winch up there.

Posts: 1452 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Uni-strut makes a perfect spacer. Bolt to floor and then the strut nuts and bolts to the winch.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwestracecabinets...thetic_ropes%29.html

Was thinking of putting one of these in my trailer.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 738 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bigdrive88
posted Hide Post
I just put one in my trailer when I installed a tool box under the bench. The winch had to be moved. High quality item. I will say if you have an S series Superwinch it will require a few changes to it. If you have an ATV style it should bolt right up

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
http://www.midwestracecabinets...thetic_ropes%29.html

Was thinking of putting one of these in my trailer.

Posts: 185 | Location: Hagerstown | Registered: September 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post