Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Another PG question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another PG question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted
Is it common practice to leave the "wedding ring" bushing out? The last 2 I've freshened didn't have it in them. I installed one in the first, but am waiting for a case recert on the other and thought Id ask...

Thanks

Posts: 50 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
John,

you have an interesting happening. I have not heard of nor have I removed the wedding ring during a build up.

I look forward to hearing from others on this subject.

My first impression, I see no reason to leave it out because I "think" in has potential to add stability to the input shaft, sun gear stability.

Think of the classic "Turbo Encublator" story; "two spurving bearings are in-line so that side fumbling of the lunar wayne shaft is effectively controlled"

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1343 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
in the early years I lft them out.dont know why.i do believe in this high hp day it is very needed for the support it gives.never had an issue that I know of when I left them out

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.015,2.88,4.46@ 153

Posts: 438 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
They are left out to help cool trams fluid when left out trans runs 10 degrees cooler

Posts: 5 | Location: new york | Registered: November 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are left out to help cool trams fluid when left out trans runs 10 degrees cooler

I want to know more about that. This is all news to me.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1343 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It is puzzling to me that after these years this is just now being discussed.

I am wearing my 10-gallon skeptic hat until we see some verified results

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have run Tran on dyno and track same result 10 degree cooler all we can think is it allows fliud to escape cluth pack easier was told by and older gentleman that did work at GM the only real reason the wedding band was installed was because when trans were going down assembly line for install the inputs keep falling out so that's when they starting putting wedding band in and was a big shot in GM r and d development

Posts: 5 | Location: new york | Registered: November 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The newer big shaft gear sets don't even have space to put a wedding band at all these days the ones that did have wedding band with big input shafts are braking

DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Interesting!! Maybe Greg from FTI will weigh in on this....

Posts: 50 | Location: Rifle Colorado | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Horseshoe,

please understand, I am not giving you or anyone a hard time about this, it is simply that I am curious and interested in the details.

So, please take my comments in the light of gaining understanding.

About the "wedding ring keeps input shaft from falling out while on an assembly line" not so because with fully assembled trans. the input shaft easily pulls out. Just lately I exchanged a Powerglide spline for a turbo 350 trans. spline on a completely assembled trans. A simple slide out, slide in exchange.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it could affect cooling as heat is built in the converter, not the clutch packs. Unless one has excessive slippage it shouldn't make a bit of difference. FYI, I run one in mine, I don't see a reason not too. And no, they won't retain the input shaft...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 251 | Location: Conifer, Colorado | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
We never leave the wedding bands out. It is essentially a bushing that keeps the input shaft centered in the unit.

Greg is out in the shop building units as we speak. I will show this to him and get his input on what he thinks for you guys later today when he is back at his desk.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 424 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
Here I come!!! The wedding bands job is to hold the gear on the sun gear flange plate on center to the planetary. There is a nipple on the end of the input shaft that holds the input on center to the planetary. This intern hiold the bottom sun gear on center. The input shaft is supported on both ends so therefore it does not need more support. You can leave this bushing out. The reason why you loose temperature is two fold. One the lobe oil is less restricted and returns to the pan faster and less oil goes to the planetary for lube. Therefore the oil doesn't gain temp from the planetary. The coll oil coming form the cooler is lube oil to spray onto hot parts therefore cooling them. When doing so the oil gains temp.I am not saying that you cant leave it out as I have seen it done many times. I dont recommend it. A key to a transmissions life is to keep everything running on center and stable. If it is off center the harmonic vibrations can be harmful. I have seen many powerglides with lots of runs without it. We install them as I try to keep everything on center and stable as possible.

Greg

Greg

FTI Performance
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 424 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
Thank you Greg and Dalton...and everyone else too. I think I'll be installing one.

Johnny

PS Dalton, Im the guy that sent you the metal fragment pic this morning. Any chance it could be from the converter?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of johnracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnracer:
Thank you Greg and Dalton...and everyone else too. I think I'll be installing one.

Johnny

PS Dalton, Im the guy that sent you the metal fragment pic this morning. Any chance it could be from the converter?

Dalton, I got your email and will be sending it your way...Thanks!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Johnny

Dalton, I got your email and will be sending it your way...Thanks!

Perfect!

-Dalton

FTI Performance
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
When the band is applied it press the drum downwards and out of the center, wedding band prevent that. A flange plate that fits tight in the drum also helps.
Agree 100% with Greg "A key to a transmissions life is to keep everything running on center and stable. If it is off center the harmonic vibrations can be harmful."

Posts: 3 | Location: Sweden | Registered: December 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of highstrung
posted Hide Post
The band was put there for a reason...dont ignore the intent of the design because of the lack of the historical engineering knowledge. It was either put there to fix a known problem or to prevent one from potentially occurring. The quickest way to failure is ignoring the experience of the past.

Racetech swingarm
540 BBC

Posts: 34 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post