DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best timing light?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best timing light?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What do you guys recommend? Need to replace my fathers trusty Mac tools light and wanted to see what you guys are liking out there, I know there are some self powered ones that look nice but don’t know how good they are.

Posts: 216 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have a flaming river self powered. Not bad price and second one I have had in 25 years.Figured first one lasted around 20 if this one last that long it owes me nothing.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have a flaming river self powered. Not bad price and second one I have had in 25 years.Figured first one lasted around 20 if this one last that long it owes me nothing.

x2

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
X3

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
FWIW we had one that would rely on power from the car that was 25+ years old, and when I switched from 12V to 16V I think we burned it up.. Went and got a MSD Self Powered unit as well, and it works VERY nice.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ X2 on the MSD light. It is bullet proof.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've never had a self powered one, if I ever buy another I would buy one. For a conventional plain timing light it's really hard to beat the Sears Craftsman chrome ones. They are plain and simple and durable. You can find them on ebay and craigslist for $20 sometimes. I've got a Mac and I've had Snapon but the old reliable chrome one is just as good.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
I have three!!

The flaming River isn't bright enough to use outside in the daylight.

Snap On adjustable works ok just $$$

Craftsman old school light is my go to all the time and is the least expensive.

This info and $6 will get you some coffee for what its worth.

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We've had all three listed above. The old craftsman worked well until it quit on us. We wanted to go to a self powered, due to having a dragster. We have a MSD self powered that works great, just a little pricey. We also have a flaming river that works decent, just not as bright as the MSD but 1/4 the price.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Ferret Instruments digital timing light now for more than 20 years. Best one I've ever owned. Works perfectly with MSD as well.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post