DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tow Truck Tires & Rims
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tow Truck Tires & Rims
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted
3500hd GMC (non dually) and need to get tires (18") and thinking about maybe switching rims (stock aluminum now). Its a 4x4 driven in Michigan winters and used in the summer for towing a 32ft trailer with upto 2 dragsters in it.

What tires do I get ?

Is there anything I should be looking at in aftermarket rims or staying away from ?

Thanks !

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Not cheap but I'd do a 19.5" conversion. WAY better tires.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
did 19.5's, rides like crap and are useless if you ever actually drive on wet grass or anything worse. Running at 45# to get a better ride defeats the purpose of doing it. Heavy and rolling resistance is huge.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
Mickey's perfect for that truck-
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 Radial LT305/60R18

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammertime:

Is there anything I should be looking at in aftermarket rims or staying away from ?

Thanks !

You would be way better off buying the entire wheel. The only people that make them for trucks is Weld. The rest look like crap and are cast chink junk.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
For my money....

https://spec.tirelibrary.com/t...=zurcher.tireweb.com

Firestone Transforce H/T for about $12 more per..

https://spec.tirelibrary.com/t...=zurcher.tireweb.com

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1586 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
How about a good set of Cooper all season HT3, LT 18” or slightly aggressive for 4x4 load range E. We have had great success on truck and trailer.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4461 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the stock wheel is using the hub as a pilot. That way the studs dont take all the load. Ask me how i know......

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1987 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
Not that I can afford one, but why in the hello do they make the new trucks 2 stories high now ? I personally do not like that look. Mad

I guess that is why they had to use 18" tires and wheels to fill up the extra space.

It may not be pretty, but I like my old dually with 16" tires and wheels.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 307 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Wild Wild West 2
posted Hide Post
1.5 inches is definitely not "2 stories", but that is just the tire difference. I wonder what the difference in cab height is between a 2018 and a 1984 crew cab dually (2 wheel drive) would be ?

I am (of course) exaggerating on the "2 stories" comment, but the newer trucks are higher profile than the 80's and 90's versions.

Tim West
"Wild Wild West" Racing

mickeythompsontires.com
tciauto.com
compcams.com
www.motorsportsinnovations.com

Posts: 307 | Location: Spartanburg,SC | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Check to see if the stock wheel is using the hub as a pilot. That way the studs dont take all the load. Ask me how i know......

Why I hate aftermarket wheels....Need to be hub centric

Bill "3X3" Hoskinson knows Cool

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1586 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Michelin is always a good choice, some single wheel guys say they feel much better when towing.
They are a damn fine tire.
You don't need mudder tires.

The Mastercraft I posted is a Cooper product.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
I've had really good luck with Hankook ATM tires...

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Firestone TransForce M/S tires last year on my pickup with General Grabbers H/T's and it was a night and day difference.

The Generals are WAY better than the Firestones.

Handling in wet or dry on curves vastly better, not even close !

I put Cooper HT's on the rear of my MH..

Michelins are great but very expensive and they still dry rot crack like they always did....

If you use them up by driving a lot of miles there fine but if the vehicle sits parked a lot....I'd never buy the Michelins....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post