DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Th400 transbrake valve body
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Th400 transbrake valve body
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of David Lemons
posted
Hello everyone, I am in the process of deciding what transbrake valve body to use in my transmission. I have a th400 with a BTE RMVB. I have been racing 20 years and have never used a transbrake. It seems like each manufacturer installs a little differently depending on what manufacturer you choose. What valve bodies do you all like to use. The transbrake will be used mainly for heads up racing. Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Location: Efland,N.C. | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
what do the heads up guys say? All the major trans company makes a billet aluminum transbrake today including BTE so why not speak to them? Everyone will recommend the company they use and few if any here run a turbo400 trans with a tranbrake.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
For TH400's, I've always ran a TCI and they worked well. But there are tons of options available now that weren't when I ran them. Just depends on how much you want to spend. BTE works very well and is reasonably priced

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What 1320racer said........

My th400 had a TCI w/ TB in since 1998 and was a standard brake (no need to energize brake for reverse). Standard transbrakes are slower to release.

You definitely want a VB with a Pro Brake release. It’s easier to slow the car leave with a Pro Brake than it is to speed up the release of a Standard transbrake.

In 2018 I replaced the th400 TCI standard transbrake VB with a 1+2 release Pro Brake VB from ATD. I can now leave in 2nd gear with the Pro Brake that is as fast as leaving in 1st gear using the old Standard Brake with very close to the same launch rpm.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My TH-400 has a Hughes RMVB w/TB in it, and it has been flawless for the past 5 years.
Releases quickly, which is needed for my heavy A-Body car. Just as importantly, it is very consistent on the release time. I am sure all of the other top name offerings are very good as well. But here is another feature I highly recommend, that I really wish mine had: Clean Neutral. Don't get me wrong, I am not one who is a fan of clicking into neutral after the stripe, (trans builders will tell you why that is a really bad idea). But in the event of an engine failure, the ability to hit the kill switch and immediately pop the trans into neutral is a nice option to have. It can potentially limit the extent of further engine damage, and if a guy doesn't have an engine diaper or containment system, it can possibly save his car and/or his life.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have used the same ATI T-400 valve body for 30, yes 30, years without one problem. I got a new ATI with one of the first “wicked quick” aluminum valve bodies. Nothing but trouble. Sent it back twice and 3rd time they gave me a new valve body. That trans & valve body have not been tried. I got fed up with it. May give it another try someday.

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
Extreme Automatics out of Ohio now reproduces the Griner billet internal brake valve body.

Griner has long been considered the fasted releasing brake although other companies have begun to catch up.

I run this very brake (1-2 leaver and clean neutral) in my Coan 400xlt 2.10 th400.

http://extremeautomatics.com/p...=168&fromc=15&fromt=

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <DOTracer>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have had a TCI and Trans Specialities and the TS was faster and more consistent

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of David Lemons
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for replying.
DOTracer- I think I’m going to try the Griner valve body. It looks like it will be super fast reacting so that will be awesome.

Posts: 2 | Location: Efland,N.C. | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I've had my Hipster Brake for 20 years. I wouldn't mind having the 2nd gear leave option. I would love to be able to go to neutral some times. But you know that won't work. I called a few of the companies a year or so ago about the billet internal solenoid rigs. No one would tell me it would react faster than the old Hipster.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post