New
Find
Notify
Tools

sbc no power
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just rebuilt my 400 cid sbc .10 over new crank 6" rods,rings.New camfrom Bullet cams[gross lift >573I >590E duration .050 267I 275E lobe separation 106.Now my dragster is 3/10s slower,and gets slower with each 1/8mi run!I run alcohol with stack injection.It used to print time slips! Do I need more break in runs? Running 30* timing.

Posts: 9 | Location: maryland | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why the cam change? What was the old cam? Was the old combo on alcohol also?

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you got good oil pressure? I am concerned you said it slows down each run. What about crank and rod clearances?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is this a flat tappet cam? Seems that way with the low lift. If so, you might have wiped a lobe or two off.

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
better look for metal in the filter or screen
or pull pan and check bearings

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Cam change was based on Bullet Cam advice.Oil pressure at70 psi at finish line.Have run alcohol for last 18 years.Checked lift at rockers,all good.Just took fuel system apart all was clean.Can not remember old cam spec,Comp cam 12-515-5.Have same RHS 220cc heads as before.I am lost,Just may need to tear apart to recheck engine inside.

Posts: 9 | Location: maryland | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Did you check crankshaft torque as each one of the main cap went on? Then after each rod assy. went in? Although anything detected there should pretty much be a constant and not deteriorating. Unless it was a ring problem, which should show up in you filter opening. Believe I'd open it up before major repercussions and expenses vs. time and gaskets.

Have you verified you crank damper outer ring isn't moving? Have you had to re-time it to keep it at 30*? Just basics, but you never know.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Maybe your engine wants more timing with the new cam . My sbc runs best e.t. and m.p.h. at 38-39 deg. on alky.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Valvesprings not enough pressure for the new cam?? Or springs are fading away and need replaced maybe??

Posts: 10 | Location: Lower Michigan | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Assuming it is NOT a mechanical problem what do the plugs say?
Was the injection flushed out when put away for the winter? If in doubt pull the nozzles and check for blockage.

Was the intention of the new cam to pick up power?
Does it need more fuel due to the new cam and whatever else you changed?

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spookie:
Just rebuilt my 400 cid sbc .10 over new crank 6" rods,rings.New camfrom Bullet cams[gross lift >573I >590E duration .050 267I 275E lobe separation 106.Now my dragster is 3/10s slower,and gets slower with each 1/8mi run!I run alcohol with stack injection.It used to print time slips! Do I need more break in runs? Running 30* timing.

No idea why they spec'ed a cam with more ex lift than intake! Timing is low. Bu neither should cause the car to slow up run after run. Something is wrong! Find it. Check all the stupid stuff, fuel, fuel filter, ignition etc.

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I have never had a sbc that run that little of timing with a 23 degree head usually around 40. But that doesn't explain slowing down each pass.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
I have never had a sbc that run that little of timing with a 23 degree head usually around 40. But that doesn't explain slowing down each pass.

My 454 SBC with AFC 235 CNC 23* heads runs best at 28*-30* timing on track and dyno.

Still as you say it should not slow down each pass and that is why I asked about the oil pressure and clearances.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Crank trigger or dist PU? Key sheared on crank will not have the actual timing displayed by light and will usually continue to move towards retard.

Posts: 184 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If it's slowing every run, he'll switch converters eventually, typically the problem if the engine oil filter is clean. I'm sure it has higher ratio rocker on the intake.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Your talking about a big inch engine with some really good heads with very good chambers. Although i don't see where he posted what heads he's running.

quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rs72z:

My 454 SBC with AFC 235 CNC 23* heads runs best at 28*-30* timing on track and dyno.

Still as you say it should not slow down each pass and that is why I asked about the oil pressure and clearances.[/QUOTE

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
My concern is why is it slowing down every pass? That makes me think there may be a mechanical problem such as a bearing close to seizing.

As for timing mine does not like that much but no matter what I do not think the timing is the cause of it slowing each pass.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The cam and timing are killing your power. Terrible cam choice for alcohol. It's blowing all your power ( heat) out the exhaust. Gas would be better, but not alcohol. Your also about 8-10 degrees short on timing for alcohol. But even that will not overcome the cam overlap. Rejet and put it on gas and see for yourself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ron C.,

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
The first thing I would do is pull the valve covers off. Check each spring and have someone bump it over while you watch the rockers go up and down. It is possible a lobe has went down. If it all looks great then I would run the valves again and see if anything changed.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I went through fuel system,all was good.rechecked rackers ,all good.reset timing where my old engine dis liked 38* as per suggestion. Went out sunday 60ft times back down to 1.24 with a 5.66 1/8mi.Thanks for all the help.Setting timing that high would have the last thing I would haved tried.But it worked! Thank you all.