DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Headhunter pistons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headhunter pistons
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted
Currently have a engine with 24 degree Dart 355 heads and looking to upgrade heads to headhunters, they are both 24 degree heads according to all the spec sheets. Wondering if we are going to have to replace pistons to use the headhunters? its confusing reading all the stuff on the internet about it. its a 565 with 6.535 rods. hate to have to buy new pistons if not necessary. thanks

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I believe they are specific to those heads so yes! The intake valve is much bigger, 2.30 to 2.375 so likely the valve centers aren't the same also. From memory, when I did a similar swap (AFR 355's to 383 HH's) the intake did not line up either (ports, not the bolt holes) and it was more than the HH's being closer to oval vs rectangular! I'd plan on an intake also.

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
HH's are made both with std valve location and MC or moved centers.....

I have to assume the MC heads might be a problem possibly on the intake valve notch location...

I have no experience with them but just a casual look at the Wiseco piston catalog....they don't list a separate shelf stock piston for the HH MC head.

If you have the std head I'd say they will work.

A call to any decent engine shop that has built engines using those heads would be your best bet.

My friends 582 had HH's and ran well but I don't know if they were the MC head...….

The Wisecos I just got fit almost perfect with a std 24 degree Brodix 3x head....Pretty tight dome to chamber in one area.....nothing a few minutes with a die grinder can't fix....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
HH's are made both with std valve location and MC or moved centers.....

I have to assume the MC heads might be a problem possibly on the intake valve notch location...

I have no experience with them but just a casual look at the Wiseco piston catalog....they don't list a separate shelf stock piston for the HH MC head.

If you have the std head I'd say they will work.

A call to any decent engine shop that has built engines using those heads would be your best bet.

My friends 582 had HH's and ran well but I don't know if they were the MC head...….

The Wisecos I just got fit almost perfect with a std 24 degree Brodix 3x head....Pretty tight dome to chamber in one area.....nothing a few minutes with a die grinder can't fix....

Not sure I'd trust a so called standard valve location from Brodix or anyone. In any case a fitting would be required to ensure the intake valve pocket on the piston is large enough to accept the larger intake valve.

BTW the definition of a race part is ,,, it don't fit. LOL

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I would never assume anything fit without checking it either....

My point was more along the lines of does a MC head require a custom ordered piston or maybe some intake notch flycutting….

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
I saw a listing on RT41 website in Indiana.Recent.
Brand new set of Profilers 174X complete (NEW) for
$3500. Guys name was Aaron Disinger. It was under the for sale. That bare casting alone in 1700.00.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
I understand the fact that we would not just bolt the heads on and go. I was just wondering because I didn't see a separate piston in Wiseco's catalog and I wasn't sure if all 24 degree heads are the same, basically. this engine would be all checked over for clearances and the such. thanks

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
If you have any questions about pistons possible with what head you decide on and want Wiseco's,
put a call in to Wiseco and ask for Victor Ellinger. Be more than happy to get you in the right direction.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
will do thanks TD3550

Mike Buchwald

DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
Wiseco work well but will still need valve pocket machined.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
The 1st design Q16's of which i run in the 632 will accept a 2.400 without a cut. They have produced a newer 2nd design piston Q16. But as we all know better, check,check and check. That is if you decide on a Q16 slug.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone

Mike Buchwald