DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Is NHRA finally enforcing the NO Spiking the Brakes Rule.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is NHRA finally enforcing the NO Spiking the Brakes Rule.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted
http://www.nhraracer.com/conte...eid=71651&zoneid=175

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
clapping

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I wonder if he was warned first?

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
He crashed the car or hit the wall I believe....and NHRA must have felt it was from excessive braking....

I Don't know, wasn't there but saw some posts about the incident...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know rules are rules but I hate to see "judgement " rules used unless there is a serious violation. I will admit I didn't see this particular instance but I have witnessed a driver being disqualified for the same "excessive" braking used by others before and after at the same event.

Posts: 26 | Location: TEXAS...waiting to secede! | Registered: December 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
?? "The NHRA disqualified Chip Johnson from the event held at Rockingham Dragway on October 18-20, 2019 for violating the excessive braking rule during round one of eliminations. In addition to being disqualified from the event James will receive 0 points from the event..."
So who is JAMES?
Wondering if this is the same Chip Johnson that used to frequent this forum way back in the late 90's/early 2000's?? (I don't know if he is still on here, I haven't seen anything from him in years, but I don't often look at the other forums, pretty much just stay here in Tech Talk)...

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Just as in politics, there are nhra racers that are exempt from the rules the majority are penalized for!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Koski:
Just as in politics, there are nhra racers that are exempt from the rules the majority are penalized for!

The interesting thing is, if it was Chip that got disqualified he probably got targeted for being a multi time, multi class IHRA champion. The article says he was disqualified 1st round. He crashed 3rd round. The crash wasn't due to braking. It was a combination of Rockingham in October, and relatively small, worn out radials. He killed ~15 mph first round. They may have decided to disqualify him for that after the crash. He wasn't up in the points so basically the DQ was meaningless.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of The Hawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
?? "The NHRA disqualified Chip Johnson from the event held at Rockingham Dragway on October 18-20, 2019 for violating the excessive braking rule during round one of eliminations. In addition to being disqualified from the event James will receive 0 points from the event..."
So who is JAMES?
Wondering if this is the same Chip Johnson that used to frequent this forum way back in the late 90's/early 2000's?? (I don't know if he is still on here, I haven't seen anything from him in years, but I don't often look at the other forums, pretty much just stay here in Tech Talk)...

It was Chip "The Legend" Johnson.

lane weber

perfecting a better mousetrap

Posts: 158 | Location: Littleton, Colorado | Registered: November 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
NHRA periodically makes an example of somebody. A few pretty big names have been DQ'd in the past for smoking the front tires at the stripe.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
If he was DQ'd after 1st Round, how was he still racing in Round 3?
Did they decide he would earn no points, but let him continue on in competition? (If so, that makes no sense to me, especially if the supposed transgression was one related to "safety")?

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Either the article is wrong about the round, or the disqualification was handed out after the race.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pentastarrail:
Frank They usually get one warning and there are people in the tower watching for that !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fact is the nose dropped and then that COPO Camaro hit one wall head on then bounced into the other wall backwards. Chippy got out OK and they are supposed to rebuild the car. What Woody said about the track. Chip is a pretty good ol boy.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
Chippy got out OK and they are supposed to rebuild the car. What Woody said about the track. Chip is a pretty good ol boy.

Glad he wasn't hurt, and hope he/they can get the car fixed. Agree with you about Chip. Never met him, but when I won a track championship almost 20 years ago, he came on here and offered his congratulations to me, (a nobody), and coming from a guy who was very accomplished at the time, that was a kind gesture that I haven't forgotten... Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore