Find
Notify
Tools

pro transbrake
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Problem with a toggle switch is if you back into your pit spot and have CRS. Easy to forget and leave switch on which leaves the solenoid engaged.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You may think it’s not wired properly but it works for me, I’m not changing it. Back up after burn out, flip cover down, reset box, car in low gear, hit pro stage button on steering wheel and pull in to stage.

I have CRS and I’ve never left the cover up with the switch on. Back into pit space, Ignition off, turn off main power switch. Even if I forgot to flip the cover down turning off the main power switch kills it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
You may think it’s not wired properly but it works for me, I’m not changing it.

It would also save you a bunch of CO2 (assuming that's what you use for the stop) since wiring as a 'backup button' rather than to one of the PB terminals will not cycle any of the timers in the box.

One side of your switch to +12v, the other side directly to the Transbrake terminal of the box.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’ll think on it Tony. Right now I just want to get this pit scooter running so I can sell it.

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have been backing up pushing on the button in both door cars and my dragster for years, not a big deal to me at all and have no issue with it. Too each his own I guess for those who want a switch

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I have been backing up pushing on the button in both door cars and my dragster for years, not a big deal to me at all and have no issue with it. Too each his own I guess for those who want a switch

This is what I was thinking , but I was not adding info to the OP. I was just thinking it just adds one more step and I believe that keeping it simple is real important, that's my 2 cents

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
We load one car backwards and one forwards. Always seems like I’m backing up. One of the reasons I have mirrors on my dragster. Trying to hold a button down while doing so is a pain in the butt as far as I’m concerned.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I made a bracket on the front side of my shifter with a toggle switch put car in rev., flip switch back up, flip switch down, pull it in first ready to go.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
quote:
Originally posted by 06vistabluegt:
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
I think Fred is suggesting you would be defeating the safety of a probrake as it cannot be activated in reverse without the transbrake being applied. By wiring this into the shifter so it comes on when put into reverse, you may end up going for an unwanted ride if you miss neutral.

Got it. I'm not one to put it in neutral while in motion so I guess that's why it didn't dawn on me. This leads me to another question. What happens when you put a pro brake in reverse without hitting the button? Does it stay in neutral?

Correct, you will still be on neutral.

Ever hear a dragster chirping the tires as it is backing up from a burnout? That is the driver hitting the switch on and off for the transbrake. I do the same thing in my cars taking them out of the trailer at times.

Again, in NHRA Div1 events, Footbrake can not have any switches for the pro trans brake wired to the steering wheel or anywhere else . The reverse function must be on the shifter. Not all aftermarket shifters have a reverse switch so most have to fabricate something.

I have to ask.....

Why does a Div. 1 FOOTBRAKE car have a Pro brake in it?

goob- y'all yankees got some weird rulez

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
I have to ask.....

That's a dumb question.

The answer is versatility. Also the reason that my No-Box car is often found with a delay box and/or throttle stop installed.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3158 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why does the button have to be on the shifter?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
Why does the button have to be on the shifter?

It doesn't it just worked out for me I can put shifter in rev. and flip switch at the same time the way I have it mounted.

Posts: 120 | Location: Indiana | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
I have to ask.....

That's a dumb question.

The answer is versatility. Also the reason that my No-Box car is often found with a delay box and/or throttle stop installed.

Duh, I was doing that 18 years ago, so thanks. Roll Eyes

Very common in places where "no-box" or NHRA Pro ET with transbrakes are run, but I was under the impression that Div. 1 and most of Div. 2 are rabid FOOTBRAKE only territory.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1654 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
I have to ask.....

That's a dumb question.

Duh, I was doing that 18 years ago, so thanks. Roll Eyes

Very common in places where "no-box" or NHRA Pro ET with transbrakes are run, but I was under the impression that Div. 1 and most of Div. 2 are rabid FOOTBRAKE only territory.

Yes, but I also race in Pro Tree classes that don't allow Deep Staging and need to use the Trans Brake and a LOT of rpm to hit the tree.

And if I ever install my delay box and try Top Bulb racing I will need to use the Trans Brake also.

So when I built my car I had a Pro Brake put in it so it would be there for future use.

Div 1 has their own special rules that won't allow us to use a driver-operated switch to engage the trans brake, they want it to be done automatically by the shifter.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
So Div. 1 still runs pure foot brake in Pro ET, but have made allowances for cars equipped with t-brakes to compete??

goob- no wonder bracket racing is dead....

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro_ET
posted Hide Post
OP, call FTI and ask about this valve body.
F2514B2: Bracket Trans-brake

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pro_ET,

Posts: 127 | Location: Div 3 | Registered: December 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
So Div. 1 still runs pure foot brake in Pro ET, but have made allowances for cars equipped with t-brakes to compete??

goob- no wonder bracket racing is dead....

Correct. But how is that an issue? Pretty easy to tell if someone is on a TB at the line and or a 2-step. We have no issues with it. We have had people from out of state use a TB during timeshots and had to explain the class rules to them. We do (did) have two classes that allowed a TB and 2-step, one with full electronics, the other without a delay box, and other rules, basically door cars with mufflers only......

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, remember we had a guy at the 2012 bracket finals at LV that went 3 rounds IIRC, before NHRA DQ. It wasn't easy for them to tell. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Mike, remember we had a guy at the 2012 bracket finals at LV that went 3 rounds IIRC, before NHRA DQ. It wasn't easy for them to tell. Roll Eyes

Yup......

And some cars on Alky sound like crap at the line, almost as if they are on a 2-step.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Not "really" an issue Mike, but it doesn't help bracket racing any when there is no continuity to the rules package from coast to coast.
I'm pretty much good with a "no rules" class and a "footbrake, nothing more sophisticated than a 6-AL ignition" class, just make it simple.

just sayin

Dave Cook
N375