Find
Notify
Tools

pro transbrake
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted
I have a probrake in a powerglide and I just put the switch on the steering wheel. I was wondering if I could put a toggle switch on it so I could engage the brake while I back up? Instead of trying to hold it down while backing up?? And is so how would I wire it?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes and same as other wire...

Posts: 1250 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My advice is use an aircraft toggle switch cover. That way you have to lift the cover to flip the switch up to back up. Then just slap the cover down and you’re ready to race. That’s what I do. You can actually find a simulated carbon fiber cover at Autozone.

The wiring is pretty straightforward.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
You can do that, but I wouldn't. What happens if somehow the toggle switch is accidentally bumped and turned on? A trans brake should only have a momentary on switch for activation.

My 2 cents..........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
I have a secondary button by my shifter for backing up. Alot easier to steer and hold the button by the shifter than to try and turn while holding a button on the wheel.

No toggle for me for fear of forgetting to turn it off and burn up a solenoid.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Novacaine
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info.

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I don't have a pro brake so this might not be valid but most shifters have accommodations for a switch for reverse lights. Couldn't you utilize that in some way?

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I have a microswitch on my shifter that can only get activated by putting the shifter into reverse, or I can manually use it when I am actually using the trans brake to launch the car.

In NHRA Div1 the switch must be mounted on the shifter, no other switches allowed, especially on the steering wheel!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
Ummmmmm ..... Capt. Obvious here .... for those wanting to make it come on automatically when the shifter is placed in reverse ...

you're kind of defeating the whole purpose

Eek

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XPS fan:
Ummmmmm ..... Capt. Obvious here .... for those wanting to make it come on automatically when the shifter is placed in reverse ...

Eek

I thought I had just read it wrong. Maybe I still am.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6363 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
With the aircraft switch cover you won’t accidentally flip the switch or bump it. You must physically lift the cover and then turn on the toggle switch. After backing up, if you don’t flip the cover down to close the switch, the car won’t move since box is still activated. You just slap the cover down, hit reset on the box and you’re ready to go. Easy peasy.

I’ll try and post a picture later today.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
After backing up, if you don’t flip the cover down to close the switch, the car won’t move since box is still activated. You just slap the cover down, hit reset on the box and you’re ready to go..

No reset of the delay box needed if wired properly.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eek

Like I said, I don't have a pro brake but when I convert to a glide in the future and have have a pro brake, the first thing I'd do is wire it to the reverse light switch. What is the purpose I'm defeating?

Posts: 152 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 06vistabluegt:
quote:

Eek

Like I said, I don't have a pro brake but when I convert to a glide in the future and have a pro brake, the first thing I'd do is wire it to the reverse light switch. What is the purpose I'm defeating?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I think Fred is suggesting you would be defeating the safety of a probrake as it cannot be activated in reverse without the transbrake being applied. By wiring this into the shifter so it comes on when put into reverse, you may end up going for an unwanted ride if you miss neutral.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
I think Fred is suggesting you would be defeating the safety of a probrake as it cannot be activated in reverse without the transbrake being applied. By wiring this into the shifter so it comes on when put into reverse, you may end up going for an unwanted ride if you miss neutral.

Got it. I'm not one to put it in neutral while in motion so I guess that's why it didn't dawn on me. This leads me to another question. What happens when you put a pro brake in reverse without hitting the button? Does it stay in neutral?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
What happens when you put a pro brake in reverse without hitting the button? Does it stay in neutral?

Yes. Is there a reason that are specifically talking about a Pro brake, rather than a standard transbrake that will allow you to use Reverse without activating the brake?

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
What happens when you put a pro brake in reverse without hitting the button? Does it stay in neutral?

Yes. Is there a reason that are specifically talking about a Pro brake, rather than a standard transbrake that will allow you to use Reverse without activating the brake?

My reasoning for wanting a pro brake is to do some pro tree index racing in the future. I'd like the quicker release of the pro brake.

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:

Got it. I'm not one to put it in neutral while in motion so I guess that's why it didn't dawn on me. This leads me to another question. What happens when you put a pro brake in reverse without hitting the button? Does it stay in neutral?

Correct, you will still be on neutral.

Ever hear a dragster chirping the tires as it is backing up from a burnout? That is the driver hitting the switch on and off for the transbrake. I do the same thing in my cars taking them out of the trailer at times.

Again, in NHRA Div1 events, Footbrake can not have any switches for the pro trans brake wired to the steering wheel or anywhere else. The reverse function must be on the shifter. Not all aftermarket shifters have a reverse switch so most have to fabricate something.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of RB72Duster
posted Hide Post
I've never noticed that happening with dragsters but I'm a no box/modified/pro racer so I'm not usually watching the box guys race or if I do watch them race, I'm usually at the finish line. Lots of good info in this thread.