DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brakes on a Narrowed Rearend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brakes on a Narrowed Rearend
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just got my Dana Sixty back from having three fourths of an inch removed from one side. When I went to put the brakes back on, the calipher hits the rotor on the outside. It is an eighth inch off from being centered. I can find no reason for this and have had it off and on at least twenty times. I'm lost so any help will be appreciated. Any suggestion about how to fix this or what the problem is?

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Is the bearing fully seated on the housing end?Sometimes the lock ring gets hung up on the inside not allowing it to seat properly.

Did they do anything with the axle bearings? If replaced, maybe it is not seated all the way on the axle causing it to stick out further.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Same problem on both sides?

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Most brake kits come with shims for centering the caliper on the rotor, did you lose those or forget to put them in?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
They are just thin washers you stack between the caliper and mounting bracket to get it centered.
My Aerospace setup on my old car has washers on the bolts holding the bracket halves together to get it close then thin ones on caliper bolts if I am remembering correctly.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
And one other thing, did they have axle cut down 3/4” also? If not it may be bottoming out against other axle not allowing it to seat all the way in.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
eply

Machinist friend came out today, and it seems that the axle had walked out of the bearing by a sixteenth of an inch. That would be enough clearance for everything to line up. I have never seen a race axle that the retaining collar was not tack welded to the axle, but this one was not. We had an inch and nine sixteenth between the axles in the spool. Odd thing was the axles are the same length so we swapped them to opposite sides and that cured most of the problem. If we put the axle into the tube it came out of there was no clearance for the calipher on the driver's side. The friend has raced since the 60's and said it was one of the oddest things he had ever seen. The axles even went in easier when swapped side to side. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 51 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post