DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    PG case saver question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PG case saver question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted
Are the case savers on the market for use in stock cases only?
I tried to install a set in a Reid case and they did not fit well or at all in all but one of the channels.
The case had some sharp edges that I was able to remove with a file.
The main issue is the channels at the bottom are too narrow and the case saver pinches and distorts to the point the steels will not fit.
Any thoughts on this?

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I only use 2-4, depending on how sloppy it is. You may need to debur where the old steels were riding.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jeremiah, I was able to debure all of the high spots, but one of the channels is just too narrow at the bottom.
I tried making a broach to enlarge that channel but my tool making skills are lacking for something like that.
Thanks for the reply

Bruce Lee Cool

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
you have to open the case up a little inside and fit the steels to it, on a reid anyway

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
You need a rotary file, clean everything off, test fit the clutch pack before making savers permanent. Clean surfaces spotless of oil residue and glue savers in JB Weld.

They work good, test fit clutch pack several times, take your time.

Make sure the clutch pack is free, pressure plate fits.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
My Reid case glide started to show wear and I was forced to install the case savers. Took 8 to 10 hours of grinding and filing to get them to fit. There was a radius on the inside corner which was the biggest problem. No good way to get back in there so it was a slow, painful process. I would HATE to ever have to do it again.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Bought a used case, Figured I would use the case saver for in case of. Most fit fine but two where huge pain. I figure the savers would took most of hit and softent tht hit to those two. May not be best way fut figure noway can it hurt. With new case I can see adding them from start to protect case for as long as possible. Just me but never cared how much time went into any part of the car if I see it as needed or helpful.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies.
Looks like I just quite too easily.

Bruce Lee Cool

DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THE CASE SAVERS NEVER FIT WELL, ANYWAY.....TO HELP THINGS MOVE ALONG..I BEVEL THE CORNERS OF THE REVERSE STEEL PLATES FOR AN EASY FIT....NOT ALOT..JUST A TOUCH ON

A BENCH GRINDER..WORKS FOR ME...GOOD LUCK..

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DON KALINA:
THE CASE SAVERS NEVER FIT WELL, ANYWAY.....TO HELP THINGS MOVE ALONG..I BEVEL THE CORNERS OF THE REVERSE STEEL PLATES FOR AN EASY FIT....NOT ALOT..JUST A TOUCH ON

A BENCH GRINDER..WORKS FOR ME...GOOD LUCK..

Thank you for the idea, i will be using that in future!

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post