Find
Notify
Tools

Primer plus
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted
Whats the purpose of the solenoid on the primer plus and exactly what is it?

I'm looking to piece together one over the winter..

In greed we trust...So where's my money at?

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its a NO2 fuel solenoid to keep the engine from pulling fuel through the system under vacuum .

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Just a FYI on your build. Rons supplies a Nozzle Jet that is .051” i/d for the spray bar. The six holes in the spray bar are .020 dia at 45* angles. The spray bar is mounted to spray UP towards the carb mount opening. 18080 NOS solenoid. Parker N200B needle valve. Start with it set to 1 turn out.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Just a FYI on your build. Rons supplies a Nozzle Jet that is .051” i/d for the spray bar. The six holes in the spray bar are .020 dia at 45* angles. The spray bar is mounted to spray UP towards the carb mount opening. 18080 NOS solenoid. Parker N200B needle valve. Start with it set to 1 turn out.

I plan to buy the spray bar carb spacer from rons..

Posts: 187 | Location: Elyria,Ohio | Registered: February 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vega3410:I plan to buy the spray bar carb spacer from rons..

If you haven’t already or in the past, Consider calling James Monroe at KILLER RONS to order. Exact same price as calling Rons, but great advice and help if needed.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I agree with Markemark.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any pics of an installed system ??

Aside from the warmup I'm very happy with alcohol in the truck, but have limited room.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
Anyone have any pics of an installed system ??

Aside from the warmup I'm very happy with alcohol in the truck, but have limited room.

If you’ve seen a 1/2” carb spacer and a junior dragster fuel bottle, those are the most substantial items of the system, size-wise.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My needle valve kept screwing up. I just changed the jet. One for local track, one for Denver and one for Dallas

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
When you wire up your fuel pump/solenoid, power it from ignition power, not battery. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen racers in the lanes pulling spark plugs and dealing with the prime switch on and engine off.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What Paulie said ^^^

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
My needle valve kept screwing up. I just changed the jet. One for local track, one for Denver and one for Dallas

I’ve always used a nozzle jet also. I had friends that were having trouble using the needle valve because the fitting used to couple the needle valve to the primer plate would crack.

I tried it myself and sure enough, cracked the union in one weekend.

Nozzle jet works perfectly once you find the correct one.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you’ve seen a 1/2” carb spacer and a junior dragster fuel bottle, those are the most substantial items of the system, size-wise.

Yes, I've seen a 1/2" carb spacer, never saw or paid attention to a junior dragster fuel bottle though.

I assume the spacer has a line attached to a solenoid ?? How close does the solenoid and fuel bottle need to be mounted to the spacer ??

As I said I'm working with limited room, some pics of working systems would help clear up some questions.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of vega3410
posted Hide Post
The kit comes with 40" of fuel line and 1 quart junior dragster fuel cell...

So if you use the needle valve do you have to use a jet too? Can you use any Nos fuel solenoid?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:

Yes, I've seen a 1/2" carb spacer, never saw or paid attention to a junior dragster fuel bottle though.

I assume the spacer has a line attached to a solenoid ?? How close does the solenoid and fuel bottle need to be mounted to the spacer ??

As I said I'm working with limited room, some pics of working systems would help clear up some questions.

I don’t have pics and have only used it on dragsters, but if you have room to mount a 1 Qt plastic bottle and have 1/2” hood clearance, you’ll have room for the system. The pump and solenoid are very small and will work from anywhere in the engine bay. It’s a windshield washer fluid pump. I assume it will work best if the pump and solenoid are mounted level or below the fuel bottle.

On the needle valve question, it’s been a while but I seem to remember using a nozzle jet that was too big to get the fuel flow somewhat close and then fine tuning with the needle valve.

Tony Leonard

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here’s my plate. It’s 3/4” thick. It is wise to support the needle valve when attached to the 3an plate fitting. These 3an fittings can break from vibration.

My solenoid is plumbed to a fuel pressure regulator (7psi) as I use a 3 gal cell in the rear of the car with a Holley red pump.

DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
apparently someone was worried about that throttle arm slipping!

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
apparently someone was worried about that throttle arm slipping!

Agreed! Everything Ron’s that came with this car when I purchased in 2007 is from the late 80’s.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
If you’re building a new long car, order the gas tank split. So nice to have a 1 gal primer tank and one less thing to not have to mess with when going rounds.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and info Mark. I like the idea of the pump and tank in the rear of the vehicle, it would make my install much cleaner and user friendly.

I would assume a -4 fuel line would be sufficient ??? Is the solenoid between the tank and pump or the pump and plate ??

Thanks !!