DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Advantage of a wishbone?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advantage of a wishbone?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
When I first put the 4-link into my car, I was using a diagonal link and didn't like it. I put a wishbone on top of the diff and it's worked out perfectly.

To each his own. They all do the same thing. I don't think one is more superior to another but it all depends on the application.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, at this point I'm putting it on hold until I dig into it more. I messaged the chassis shop about an X link but haven't heard back yet.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Any advantages or disadvantages to switching to a wishbone? 4 link car running 4.90's -5.0's never any issues to this point.

why fix what ain't broken? No advantage on your car and only disadvantages as has been mentioned.

This!! No advantage so why bother. Spend the money somewhere else.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
DRR Members fix what isn't broken on their race vehicles for many different reasons. Why do they bother, because they want to. Wink

2BKing Smile

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
An X link will add better roll control as it behaves similar to a swing arm and will eliminate some, not all, body roll. An Anti-roll bar along with an X-link seems to be the best option for anti-roll and rearend location. Anti-roll bars are standard equipment these days for most applications, but if not installed in your case my vote would be X link and anti-roll bar.

As far as wishbones go and to the OP's original question, they offer zero anti-roll help and are designed to allow the roll rotation of the rear end. They are effective at rear end location in the car but are also a wear point. All depends on what you are looking for.

Posts: 370 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
My experience is with a dragster so not really sure if its what you're looking for.... about a year after I got my last dragster (Mullis 4-link with a wishbone) a friend with a similar car warned me to check my wishbone as he had neglected his and it wound up seizing and breaking the front rod end which he caught early but could have been catastrophic. I took mine apart & sure enough, it was barely moving. I disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and lubed it and checked it regularly... it worked perfectly for the next few years. Later I broke a driveshaft which damaged the wishbone and lower 4-link bars so I converted it to a 1 piece X-ed bottom bar. After a slight adjustment to my anti-roll & shocks for the new setup as advised by Brian at Mullis, the car once again worked perfectly. Going down the track I noticed no difference but as I turned off the track I immediately noticed that there was hardly any roll at all, similar to driving a swingarm / monoshock car. My summary: wishbones work, but they are not maintenance-free and they also fail. The X-ed bottom bars work just as well but simpler & there is one less thing to worry about.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 625 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My experience is with a dragster so not really sure if its what you're looking for.... about a year after I got my last dragster (Mullis 4-link with a wishbone) a friend with a similar car warned me to check my wishbone as he had neglected his and it wound up seizing and breaking the front rod end which he caught early but could have been catastrophic. I took mine apart & sure enough, it was barely moving. I disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and lubed it and checked it regularly... it worked perfectly for the next few years..

I have a wishbone 4 link door car (no anti-roll) and making sure the slide tube stays “Clean and Lubed” is Very important. It easily becomes dirty when one travels over non-paved parking. I used a bicycle innertube to cover both ends of the slide. This keeps the grease clean and tube moving properly. I can swivel the rod end by hand which indicates no binding.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
nice DIY solution. dirt in the slide is the #1 issue. I've also seen a zerk fitting on the slide tube which should be on every wishbone.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Maybe nobody involved in this conversation has seen a floating x-link.

Floating x link slides over the bottom 4 link bars

Bigger tubing floats on the two bottom 4-link bars, x in middle.

We have one Ray Miller makes for his cars, on #MEAN GREEN.

Simple fix.

Drop the two bottom bars off the rearend housing, remove the heims, slide the x-link on the bottom bars, reinstall heims and reattach the housing, done.

No grease fittings, oil or maintenance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/l3ImKaSlw78

This is an interesting design. I like the plastic inserts, would be very easy to check for wear.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^ Good video.

The center outer tube on my wishbone was worn inside on the outer ends from dirt getting into it from the previous owner and myself that allowed the inner rod slop from side to side when cleaned. I ordered a larger rod from Quarter Max and had it machined to the worn I/D size on the tube ends. Then used a hone to get the center of the tube to where the rod would just go through. I pump grease into the tube prior to installing the rod so that everything is lubed. Once installed it is very tough to try and force more grease in with a hand grease gun.

Unlike the video, the two outer rod ends on mine are installed vertically and have full motion. There is a narrow spacer between the rod end and the bolt head to diff to allow the horizontal rod end enough swivel and not bind when the 3rd member is hanging free.

I think X or K bar could be better. Making what I have work as best possible.

Posts: 2439 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Do you use the nut as the Jack pin?

How do you jack it up? Confused

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
IF the OP wants to add a wishbone, this is the guy he should be be speaking to and ordering from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjZRhL0WMlg

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Prior to purchasing the car in 2007 (built in Quays shop 1992), when I called Quay with questions, they said the bolt head for the wishbone is a jacking point for the rear of the car.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Prior to purchasing the car in 2007 (built in Quays shop 1992), when I called Quay with questions, they said the bolt head for the wishbone is a jacking point for the rear of the car.

I'd wop that off and slide an X in there.

Floating X

I'll take a photo of the X Ray Miller did for #MEAN GREEN tonight when I'm weighing it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ed liked the unequal length 4 link bars
Shorter top bars to reduce potential binding between the top and bottom bars
I asked him why he favored that design and that was his answer

His XL 4 link dragsters have the same design with a wishbone and those cars do work well and don't break !! The Bracketeer models probably have the same design

My Vega had the same wishbone location attaching points but not nearly as nice as that lower mount.....My rear was a Dana with a stud drilled right into the housing and it weeped gear oil

Built in the mid 1970's with a 3 link and that was one really poor design.....As I said before I put an Art Morrison 4-link in it with short top bars.....and it eventually got an anti roll bar and ran 8.8's at 150+

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Putting rear steer in a x link really sucks, thats why i wouldnt do an x link in a door car.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Putting rear steer in a x link really sucks, thats why i wouldnt do an x link in a door car.

Quays 3rd gen camaro build is unequal length 4 link bars. With no ARB I use 2 flats of right side rear steer and positive preload on upper right bar to launch straight when picking up front wheels.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

quote:
Putting rear steer in a x link really sucks, thats why i wouldn't do an x link in a door car.

Quays 3rd gen camaro build is unequal length 4 link bars. With no ARB I use 2 flats of right side rear steer and positive preload on upper right bar to launch straight when picking up front wheels.

Even a floating X will act as an ARB to a degree.

I'd imagine,,, my approach would be this and staggered shock settings to achieve the same result,,,, an even to the ground back bumper when the car comes off the transmission brake.

I see rear steer in boosted pro mod applications, but I can't imagine any scenario I'd use it on a bracket car.

The reason for rear steer in pro mod is for the lesser torque in play out of the gate, versus the greater torque in play down track, torque steering the cars left,,, boosted.

Disclaimer... If it's working for you, stay with it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My old friend and former owner of my old Vega has a Vanishing Point built Beretta that has a 900+HP 540 and has run over 170mph

Leaves perfect goes straight as an arrow........
X-Link
It's been parked for years though and is for sale

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post