DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dodge Ram trans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge Ram trans?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Anybody here pretty knowledgeable on the Dodge 47RH transmission? The convertor has started shuddering on acceleration. It was doing it about a year ago, I change the fluid and it stopped. This is a multi-disc aftermarket convertor I put in around 6yrs ago.
My question(s)....Is there a way to raise the pressure some to get the convertor clutches to hold better? Would synthetic fluid help?
I'm going to try an "anti-shudder" additive today to see if it stops/helps but I have no faith in snake oil tricks

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4449 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Look at Lubegard offerings. They have a specific shutter additive. They are highly regards by most trans shops and even claim OEM backing.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2330 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I rebuilt the one in our cummins dually. Has your trans. ever been rebuilt or had any valve body modifications?

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there is an additive called shudder stop that i have personally used and it does work.add it everry so often and keep on trucking

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
made by lubeguard.small red tube.it really does work.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1392 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Info from a tech at ford. All converters are having this issue or at least the big 3. Stop shudder at Orileys 12 bucks does help stop most of it for while.
My 2016 Chevy 2500 same issue at 2250 under medium acceleration.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
its the same concept of limited differentials needing the addeative to stop that chatter

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by team:
I rebuilt the one in our cummins dually. Has your trans. ever been rebuilt or had any valve body modifications?

Just the convertor swap......I've seen several VB kits from simple looking to $1200 complete reworked VB

I know those transmissions are kinda fragile and weak spots start showing up quickly when you pump the boost up... I probably should at least put a shift kit in my trans.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4449 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had shuddering in mine before I rebuilt it and installed a transgo shift kit. I also found this factory spring retainer (located on valve body, link below) was broken of which a new one comes in the shift kit. I have read that broken retainers are not uncommon.

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1...alve-spring-retainer

Posts: 476 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Dr Shudder instant tranny fix is what we throw in them if its a light rattle. Id put 2 tubes in and drive for about 50 miles. If it isnt clearing up by then, it isnt going to clear up.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 703 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
There are several updates that need to be done on the RH trans. You will have to look them up. One in particular was when the truck would sit for a day or two. the converter would just about empty out and fill the trans.. The truck won't move until you start it and put in neutral and let the pump charge the converter. Away we go. While you are at it. look up low line pressure issues on the 47RH.. I own one of those in the Dodge 3500 5.9.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post