DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Street Car Muffler Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Street Car Muffler Help
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted
I'm looking for a muffler that has a crisp sound. I don't like the deep tones of a Flowmaster. This car has long tube headers, 3" equal length Mufflex Y pipe into a single 4" Mufflex. This is a Dynomax 17225. It's really quiet in the car. Has zero drone. But it has a weird raspy sound. Maybe I'm hearing things??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gZf2jGLPI

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Dynomax ultra flow welded muffler for sound and flow. On the race car it has a clean smooth sound with no drone, raspiness or “rumble echo”.

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Allred:
Hard to beat the Dynomax ultra flow welded muffler for sound and flow. On the race car it has a clean smooth sound with no drone, raspiness or “rumble echo”.

Yep!
Chad, I have the 3” in 3 out polished mufflers for Wed Night testing. Only kills 12 hun on mine. They do sound great! 427+65 A/SA

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BP758,

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The Cherry Bomb Vortex muffler is a flow through type with little restriction and a good sound.
I doubt they would hurt horsepower much if any.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Muffler choice for a street/strip car is solely based on your ear, not anyone else's. Back in the day I used both Flowmaster Top 10 and Dynomax Race Magnum case mufler, not the bullet and preferred the sound of the Dynomax.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
Good to know that they don't kill much ET.

I wanted a Top 10 muffler but it appears they don't make it anymore.

Thanks Guys!

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post