DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Transbrake Inconsistency?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Transbrake Inconsistency?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted
I'm seeing really high variation in my reaction times lately and I'm beginning to wonder if something is amiss with the transbrake. Could something be wrong with it that would cause reaction time variation? Has anyone experienced anything like this? It is a PG with standard brake.
Let's assume it's not the loose nut behind the steering wheel for now. Smile

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I change the transbrake solenoid when ever I feel my reaction times are not where they should be. I think they can get greasy and dirty and start sticking.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Also make sure the plunger inside the valve body can spin and slide in and out smoothly. Have seen where they get a tight spot and it needs to be cleaned up to slide freely again.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I change the transbrake solenoid when ever I feel my reaction times are not where they should be. I think they can get greasy and dirty and start sticking.

X2

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
What kind of button are you using? Have you tried a different one? I would connect it to a practice tree and sit in the car using the same release. If it's consistent then look elsewhere (at the brake.)

Buttons wear out too.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:

Which flavor of transbrake solenoid are you using? The full internal unit where you can't see anything move........or the "pancake" style where you can see the plunger move? The "pancake" style is prone to dirt and grit getting into the plunger area. Move it manually, and I will bet it will feel gritty if there is a problem. Easy to clean. Remove, spray with brake clean, spray with lubricant (penetrating fluid, WD-40, ETC..}, Rinse with Brake Clean. Repeat 2 or 3 times until it is smooth as silk, reinstall, and you should be good to go.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas. I have an ATI trans with this solenoid. I ordered a new one a little while ago and went ahead and ordered a new button also. I'm going to go ahead and install a new solenoid, button, and rewire the whole thing. I'll pull the plunger and check it too. Can the spring get weak and cause problems?

Thanks for the tips so far. There's a big race this weekend and it needs to be right.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of willys1191
posted Hide Post
Well I just went thru this last year, after changing two different buttons, two different delay boxes, re-wiring the 12 volt & ground on T-brake, replacing T-brake solenoid and new tires, oh yeah and new eye glass's Laughing Hard Well it turned out to be the rear shocks. So now that I have replaced darn near everything in the car last year I decided to just go ahead over the winter and have the struts freshen up. So I wish you the best of luck, it can be very frustrating knowing you had a car that worked great and then be all over the place.

Posts: 66 | Location: Enola, Pa | Registered: August 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On my door car I would notice my reaction groups would start getting larger when the sidewalls of my slicks would start breaking down. Change the slicks and the reaction times would go back to where they should be,The slicks still had plenty of rubber on them but the sidewalls were done.

Posts: 35 | Location: texas | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
You should be able to tell if it's the tires with the movement in 60' times.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willys1191:
Well I just went thru this last year, after changing two different buttons, two different delay boxes, re-wiring the 12 volt & ground on T-brake, replacing T-brake solenoid and new tires, oh yeah and new eye glass's Laughing Hard Well it turned out to be the rear shocks. So now that I have replaced darn near everything in the car last year I decided to just go ahead over the winter and have the struts freshen up. So I wish you the best of luck, it can be very frustrating knowing you had a car that worked great and then be all over the place.

Actually a very good post. When I have an issue I try to isolate it and try to start with most likely area and cheapest / easiest to do.
Now a few years ago I had a wire to transbrake short out. I could have repaired that wire but I choose to replace solenoid, all wires and a new button to be sure there would not be any further issues. I kept the old one as a spare.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the spring get weak and cause problems?

Don't think you even need the spring.

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mopar Traitor:

Don't think you even need the spring.

I seem to recall reading that somewhere but wasn't sure.

Matt Ward

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If it is a standard brake, then replace the spring.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what spring? Where?

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i took my spring out long ago,i have 275 psi behind the plunger,no help from spring.it does make it easy to check if brake is working with motor not running though

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
you should not need spring as the land size of the valve will make it release. the outer land being larger then the inside.

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
How about the sprag in the converter?

Posts: 44 | Location: East L.A. , CA | Registered: July 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post