DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Coolant dripping from exhaust ports under pressure ????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coolant dripping from exhaust ports under pressure ????
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted
Odd problem, wondering if anyone has experienced ..........

Fired up a fresh engine last night and everything seemed fine, ran it for about 1/2 hr and up to about 180 degrees and shut it down to check things, It ran perfect. After a few minutes we noticed a few drops of water on the floor. Water was dripping out of the #5 cylinder exhaust port, actually seeping past the header gasket. It appears the #1 and the #8 are leaking too. Drained the oil, no water in the oil. Pulled the plugs, they look good. NO SMOKE whatsoever while running. I pressure tested it and it instantly starts dripping from the #1

Quick recap........

Fresh .030 454 block. My old Brodix STS 305 heads with new exhaust valves and springs, heads were not touched other than a valve job and were not cut. Same headgaskets I've always ran, obviously new.

I'm gonna pull the header off tonight and pressure test it and have a look, but I'm kinda stumped ????

Any ideas on what to look for ????

Thanks !!!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Retorque heads. See if it goes away.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
Did you use bolts or studs on the heads? Did you seal the threads? Maybe coming up the studs and appearing it's coming from the exhaust port.

Posts: 46 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadon1578:
Did you use bolts or studs on the heads? Did you seal the threads? Maybe coming up the studs and appearing it's coming from the exhaust port.

This would be my guess.....

You could also pull a valve cover and see if there is water coming up around the head bolts or studs under pressure.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I use ARP bolts with Teflon paste.

It's definitely does not look like its coming from the outer, lower head bolts but anything is possible. I'll pull the valvecover for sure and check too, but the oil looked real good, absolutely no water.

I should be able to pinpoint the leaks once the header is off. Just seams odd how good it ran and no smoke. I have a scope too, so i'll poke around and hopefully see something.

Odd problem Roll Eyes

Thanks for the replies ........

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the teflon paste I like the permatex aviation sealant #80019 on head bolts.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 251 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
If it's leaking out of the exhaust port, My guess is coolant is seeping around the exhaust valve guides.

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:
If it's leaking out of the exhaust port, My guess is coolant is seeping around the exhaust valve guides.

That or the seats.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:

That was my thoughts also Frown

These heads were running perfectly before being freshened up, don't really know how the guides could go bad from a basic valve job. Good news is , if it is the guides, I should be able to see it pretty clearly with the scope.

I've never used anything but the the paste on head bolts, never had any issues before but there's always the first time lol

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
I like to use Permatex 2B non-hardening, this stuff stays where you put it!

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
White paste will leak past a head bolt on a block without blind holes.

Permatex #2 brown goo on the threads and under the heads/washers of the bolt.

Indian head shellac also works.

Both are messy but seal up and stay sealed.

Lower the coolant level below the deck.....

Remove bolts that are leaking and clean threads with lacquer thinner and apply sealer....

I have seen small water droplets weep up at the bolt head and just pulled out bolt and added sealer even under the bolt head and washer to stop it.

If that's your problem you might need to check under the valve cover......makes a mess....water and oil.....not a good thing...

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the heads themselves....

Stock Iron heads sure it could be but not likely with a Brodix head....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'd never use any Teflon paste, its crap.

Some of the BBC heads, the ex port is very close to the head bolt/stud hole in the head so if water is coming out of the head bolts from the threads is could get into the ex port. But on your heads I don't believe that's a problem so if water is getting into the chamber and coming out the ex port, or just getting into the ex port I'd be thinking cracked head. I'd take the headers off a pressure test to see if you can see where the water is leaking from and go from there. You could also rotate the motor to get that cylinder's ex valve open to get a camera in the cylinder also (or through the plug hole).

It you find that water is leaking out from the head bolt treads in the block, changes are it will seal itself from rust in a short time.

BTW, what head gaskets did you use?

Posts: 2141 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Seems odd that it would be coming from both banks suddenly and at the same time, if cracks are suspected.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richie:
I like to use Permatex 2B non-hardening, this stuff stays where you put it!

That stinky, sticky stuff is all I ever use. Hard to find at times though.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLR:

That's where mine was leaking. Maybe Ceramic seal or something better.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post