Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shogun Alternator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shogun Alternator
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
What is the best way to check this alternator's output? It's been so long since I've had to do this I have forgotten.

Posts: 33 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
Take it OUT of the car and PUT it in the trash LOL!! Sorry, couldn't resist

Mike Greene

Posts: 502 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of PostHaste
posted Hide Post
What he said. East Coast Alternator!!

Posts: 62 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
Take it OUT of the car and PUT it in the trash LOL!! Sorry, couldn't resist

Anything made by Shogun...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/index.php

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of bracketracer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: N.J. | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
X2 on HOUSE OF PAYNE Mark is the best! I have starters and alternators 16 volt

Posts: 65 | Location: Clarksville,Tn. 37042 | Registered: December 21, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of PostHaste
posted Hide Post
Need to check them out. I've had a dozen ECA's with out a lick of trouble, but they are a little steep. Need a 16v for next year...my give them a ring.

Posts: 62 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: January 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
House of Payne call Mark just got one from him also 12volt very great guy to deal with.

Pontiacs rule

Posts: 11 | Location: Columbus ohio | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Larry Coleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tas472:
X2 on HOUSE OF PAYNE Mark is the best! I have starters and alternators 16 volt
x2. I also run his 16 volt alternator and starter.

Posts: 102 | Location: Buena Vista VA | Registered: January 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I run a East Coast Alternator now but I ran the Shogun for years and it worked great.
I did develop an electrical problem which cost me some rounds and I never did figure out exactly what the problem was but I know it was NOT the Shogun alternator. Shogun always showed charging and problem continued after I put East Coast Electric alternator on there. After that I ripped out most of the wiring and redid the car and replaced most of the switches and the problem is gone now.

Bruce Dodson
AireTex Compressors
airetex.com

Posts: 1897 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
go to the rectifier or battery and check with engine dead and then running.it will have to be revved up.

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.054,2.98,4.61@151
1.055,3.01,4.66@3600ft

Posts: 744 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of dragsterpilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ This ^^^^^

Posts: 359 | Location: Fort Worth | Registered: November 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Supernova
posted Hide Post
Finally a usefull answer instead of a commercial!

David Clapp

Posts: 1161 | Location: Dublin Ky | Registered: January 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately with Shogun those are the only useful answers.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/index.php

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1507 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
go to the rectifier or battery and check with engine dead and then running.it will have to be revved up.
Yes. Measuring DC Voltage across the battery terminals. Note, this won't tell you what the output current is, (in Amps). You need both, voltage & current. But if the volts are there, chances are good it is putting some useful current to the battery. Proper voltage output for a 12V Alternator in charging mode is approx 13.8-14.4V If you have a Current Probe (or an Ammeter with a range that exceed your alternator's Amp output rating), you can check current. Voltage should not vary wildly with RPM, but current definitely does. A 130 Amp alt with a good regulator & full battery may show the same voltage from Idle to 6,000 RPM, but the current output may only be 20-30A at idle, and 80A at 3,000 RPM.

Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 762 | Location: Denver, CO  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post