DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ET Slowed Down, Speed the Same
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ET Slowed Down, Speed the Same
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Need ideas where too start looking for a problem in the weekend bracket race.
4 passed Saturday, 9.75 to 9.78.
2 Time trials Sunday, both 9.74.
First round dial 9.74, run 9.82, but speed exactly the same, 139 and change. Other guy redlit.
Don't know what to think, dial 9.79, split the difference. Run 9.90, speed exactly the same.
Same pressure in slicks, same burnout.
Was really hot and humid, but had been as bad or worse on Saturday.
Playback tach showed nothing different than usual.
Have FTI built 8" converter, spragless.
Opinions on where I should start looking.
Sorry for the long post.

'76 Camaro
400 SBC
Powerglide
Dana 60...4.88 Gear
2445# on the Track
Best Pass:9.43@142.xx

Posts: 8 | Location: Independence, Mo | Registered: September 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Where on the track did it lose the ET? Compare your time slips and see where it slowed down. What were the 60' numbers?

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
post the split times. that will help point you in the right direction. also what were the weather numbers from each run. post up the real info and let us take a look see

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Slowed down all the way down the track:
Normal numbers 1.36 60' 6.18 1/8th 9.74 1/4 139.xx
First slow pass 1.39 60' 6.24 1/8th 9.82 1/4 139.xx
Last Pass 1.40 60' 6.30 1/8th 9.90 1/4 139.xx
Seems like it was probably spinning but couldn't
feel anything and nothing showed on the playback tach.

'76 Camaro
400 SBC
Powerglide
Dana 60...4.88 Gear
2445# on the Track

Posts: 8 | Location: Independence, Mo | Registered: September 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Same MPH generally = same HP.
I'm gonna say look at Trans or Converter?

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1033 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I'm gonna say look at Trans or Converter?

x2.

From run 1 to 2, you could argue it just spun. But from run 2 to 3, you only lost .01 in 60' but another .06 to 330.

With the 60 also being way off, I'd be thinking converter first of all.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I would think trans/converter first.

Beyond that, oil filters are cheap, cut it open and inspect.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
post 330's / 1000's too, do the split times so you can exactly at what point all the et is gone. I bet that will help point where the issue is. when does your car shift?

Ryan Fasano

Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Normal Pass 1.36 3.97 6.18 1000 timer not working
ET 9.74
First slow pass 1.39 4.02 6.24 1000 timer not working ET 9.82
Last Pass 1.40 4.05 6.30 1000 timer not working
ET9.90
Least loss is in top end half. Most in first 1/8th. Bad day for the 1000' timer not to work.

'76 Camaro
400 SBC
Powerglide
Dana 60...4.88 Gear
2445# on the Track

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Your loss is pretty equal all the way down the track.

You lost .04 in the 60' and then an additional .04 between every set of cones that you have numbers for.

I'd suspect you were just down on power, but your MPH being exactly the same doesn't add up with that.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3150 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
when does it shift time wise, what fuel do you use and what did the weather do all day from first pass to last pass. Also, do you have anyone you can compare to similar setups to see what their car was doing.

Ryan Fasano

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
also what is your warmup procedure, so we can see if we can trust the first pass or not. you keep stating "normal pass" id rather see all the slips and see the progression, I don't care what normal is, normal for one day is not normal for another. So both time runs are 9.74's then 9.82, then 9.90. your split time difference was .08 from 60' to 660' which is concerning unless you are way off on tuneup and those runs were 10 hours apart, we need more details I think, but I think trans is probably some of it.

Ryan Fasano

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Those four passes were each one hour apart. The four the day before in identical weather conditions were all within 3 numbers of what I listed as normal pass. The car has been running the same numbers for five years, only varying slightly with the temperature and dew point. never any slowdown like this. Something definitely changed, maybe just track conditions, but this kind of variation is a first.

'76 Camaro
400 SBC
Powerglide
Dana 60...4.88 Gear
2445# on the Track

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Voltage ok? Ignition...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4475 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Our slower car with a TH350 could lose a full tenth on a pass, never felt a darn thing, and the MPH was the same. Tried different converter, same thing. Even changed the engine combo, same thing. The mystery tenth.......

So I'll bet you a hamburger you have a trans problem. Seeing that you are spragless, I doubt the converter is an issue.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My car did this once about 10 years ago. It cracked a couple cylinders and was ingesting water. I picked up on the car running 9.84/9.86 as opposed to 9.76 in very similar weather conditions, but with the same MPH oddly. Not saying your engine is blown, but there could be something wonky going on inside.

Posts: 343 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Might be a dumb question but did anything change with your staging? maybe bumped in further?

Posts: 39 | Location: ohio | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Very easy to spin .03 in 60 feet, then lose more ET at each incremental and run the same MPH.
In your signature it says "best et 9.43", Im guessing that was in mine shaft air? Even if thats true, thats quite a swing in ET to me?
Is this your first time out this year, is this a new convertor, have you changed anything else? With MPH being the same I would have to assume its not motor, fuel or ignition issue. I would have to go with possibly trans, conv to tight, tires worn out or maybe suspension issue?

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Have you checked timing?? Could be that simple

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sugar Shane:
Very easy to spin .03 in 60 feet, then lose more ET at each incremental and run the same MPH.
In your signature it says "best et 9.43", Im guessing that was in mine shaft air? Even if thats true, thats quite a swing in ET to me?
Is this your first time out this year, is this a new convertor, have you changed anything else? With MPH being the same I would have to assume its not motor, fuel or ignition issue. I would have to go with possibly trans, conv to tight, tires worn out or maybe suspension issue?

Yes, typically whatever you spun in the 60ft is double at the 1/4 and usually the MPH is about the same.

If you stage differently the difference in staging will affect the R/T and ET the same exact amount, yet the MPH will be the same.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post