DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dot 5 brake fluid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dot 5 brake fluid
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and all the race car chassis builders that put DOT 5 in the brake systems of the race cars they build!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Well, lets make one thing clear for all. You can't compress a fluid. If your brakes are spongy, it's either air or piss poor brake lines. It's not the number on the bottle.

clapping

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
yes but no pad will give you 2 seasons worth on a bracket raced dragster and the pads that wear quicker do so from using the brakes .

If that is true, what causes the pads that don't wear as quick to wear? Not using the brakes?

HMMMM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: "The Bender",

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Roger gets it!

The people I want to listen to are the Manufacturer. This is from Mark Williams Disk Brake Installation & Maintenance.

"There’s also the matter of brake fluid, with DOT 5.1 preferred due to its ability to withstand high temperature without “boiling.” DOT 5.1 is hygroscopic, as opposed to silicone-based DOT 5.0, and has proven to work well in drag racing environments.

DOT 4 (non-silicone) will also work fine for most drag applications. Changing the brake fluid annually is another well-founded recommendation."

Ed, has part of it right.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
you don't even have mark williams brakes on your junk no mind have you asked them why they don't recommend DOT5 Roll Eyes

Again, every COPO is delievered with DOT 5 in their master cylinder as were Undercover dragsters and my MPR built Firebird in addtion to all the racers I know running DOT5 in everything from Stock Eliminator to Comp.

I'll keep doing what I do, winning races, Wallys and Championships on the biggest stage in drag racing and you keep doing what you do.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^dang 1290, that is the cleanest brakes I have ever seen. how do you keep them that clean? my wheels are the color of brake dust inside and out. and your rotors aren't blue.wtf?

ep-1290 got nice stuff

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that's the cleanest they will ever be, they're brand new Big Grin But I do clean the brakes when ever I swap pads and tires.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
nice stuff right there

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I take pride in knowing that my cars are amongst the best equipped, best prepared and best working on the property wherever we go. There maybe some cars just as good but none better.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ummm Ed,

The biggest stage in drag racing pays a MILLION dollars...

But you have really clean brakes!

Just an observation...

Posts: 1752 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong I never mentioned $

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
Roger gets it!

The people I want to listen to are the Manufacturer. This is from Mark Williams Disk Brake Installation & Maintenance.

"There’s also the matter of brake fluid, with DOT 5.1 preferred due to its ability to withstand high temperature without “boiling.” DOT 5.1 is hygroscopic, as opposed to silicone-based DOT 5.0, and has proven to work well in drag racing environments.

DOT 4 (non-silicone) will also work fine for most drag applications. Changing the brake fluid annually is another well-founded recommendation."

Ed, has part of it right.

This was a civil forum opinion with facts, you don't agree with it. That's fine, but why do you find the need to call my stuff junk. I don't get mad about it, because I know it's not true. Here's a simple explanation of my junk: it's a Wolfe in Sheep's clothing. It has all the good stuff T&D rocker shafts, Callie's, Dart, ATI, Hughes, Moser & AFCO just to name a few. You used to be on the ATI band wagon, must be junk now. You use T&D, must be junk because I use it.

Now, I wish your Son & you the best. No hate for you, just for your crappy forum attitude.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2545 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
chill, I call my stuff junk too and thank you.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I actually had someone chastise me because I call my car "my junk"..... not on this forum though...

I do like my Mark Williams brakes though....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I tell anyone that doesn't have them make the swap. Perhaps the only brakes that are slightly better are Lamb but I have never had them so I can't say. That said, any new car I build will again have Mark Williams, Brakes, center section and driveshaft. Their products are the benchmark by which all others are judged.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
My carrier is Strange, but everything else in the rear is Mark Williams, including drive shaft. Brakes have never been an issue. One thing that sucks about being in Florida though is I can't take a drive up to Mark Williams and get my stuff right there...

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Sure you can drive up and get your stuff.Might be longer ride.

Man lots of conversation on a post that was just is there any reason I should not be using it.

Most ironic part is I am on same side of this argument as Ed. Man corona has changed how the world works. LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
there are many, many class racers and chassis builders with us. As I stated and challenged all here to do... Flush your brake system at the end of a season and I know what comes out looks and smells nothing like what went in out of the bottle except DOT5 but they won't, scared to find out Ed is right again. When you flush your brake system of DOT 3, 4 and 5.1, there's no way you can defend using that fluid once you see it and smell it. that is of course providing you use your brakes for more than slowing to turn off the track. Wink

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Louisville, Colorado is a bit of a haul from Ft. Myers Florida for sure!!! Only took me about an hour from my house when I was back home....guess I better get up early if I'm gonna make the trip! Now where to stop for lunch.........

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

Louisville, Colorado is a bit of a haul from Ft. Myers Florida for sure!!! Only took me about an hour from my house when I was back home....guess I better get up early if I'm gonna make the trip! Now where to stop for lunch.........

Might want to start thinking about getting dinner to while you are at it.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post