DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    dot 5 brake fluid
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dot 5 brake fluid
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
J.R. I tried that fluid and it too wasn't up to task, burnt and smelly when flushed. My pedal with DOT5 is very good.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I think maybe there is something more going on with the burnt/black fluid than just the type of fluid. Maybe it has to do with the material the flex hoses are made of (different manufacturers) and possibly different calipers/master cylinder manufacturers using different materials for the O-rings?

Ed whose calipers and master cylinder are on your cars?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
nope I've see the same black smelly fluid when flushed on cars running DOT3, 4 and 5.1 with Wilwood, Strange and Mark Williams brakes which my cars have. MC is Tilton on the dragster and Mopar style black plastic reservoir sold by Strange, Wilwood and others on the bird.

Keep in mind, we do use our brakes. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
LOL

I haven't used the chute in 2 years running 190+, neutraling it right after the stripe and coasting before getting on the brakes (it's a hardtail thing), and sometimes dragging the brake on the top end. It's pretty hard to womp a roots blown car...….

Ran two seasons without changing the fluid and it still clear out of the calipers...

And before you mention it, I did pull the chute a couple of times the last two years, just to air it out....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3099 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Just checked my Motul brake fluid in my trailer and it’s 5.1

Been in there since last winter. Put all new brakes on the car.

Pedal is solid and hand brake is fine.

Stops well but took a few runs to get pads bedded in. More than previous brakes for sure.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
LOL

I haven't used the chute in 2 years running 190+, neutraling it right after the stripe and coasting before getting on the brakes (it's a hardtail thing), and sometimes dragging the brake on the top end. It's pretty hard to womp a roots blown car...….

Ran two seasons without changing the fluid and it still clear out of the calipers...

And before you mention it, I did pull the chute a couple of times the last two years, just to air it out....

Mine is clear with Dot3. Daily drivers I can get some dark color over the years. I can stop my car from 188 plus, but the Willwoods old design rotor isn't liking it. Might try the slider deal that they recently came up with. C clip whatever. If they don't improve the cupping, I will have to switch the brake system.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
telling on your brake use is the number of passes you get on a set of pads so how many?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
telling on your brake use is the number of passes you get on a set of pads so how many?

I can't answer that. I don't usually wear mine out. Mine wear with the cup of the rotor. Two seasons max.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
that says everything right there. Anyone else?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Wear also depends on what pad you are using, some just wear quicker than others......apples to oranges.....

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
yes but no pad will give you 2 seasons worth on a bracket raced dragster and the pads that wear quicker do so from using the brakes.

So who is taking me up on my challenge this week? it's a win win for you by performing maintenance to your brake system that few do yearly and it will be enlightening as to your brake fluid not being up to the task.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

pads twice a year and rotors every other year for me 1290. what does that say? 2800# door car runs 5.80 118 and 10.90 141.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of dragracer2757
posted Hide Post
minimum 2-3 sets per year running 4.50-4.60 average

Posts: 62 | Location: old hickory tn | Registered: December 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
definitely using your brakes for more than slowing down to turn off the track. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:

pads twice a year and rotors every other year for me 1290. what does that say? 2800# door car runs 5.80 118 and 10.90 141.

ep

that says you know why you have two pedals rather than one but I knew that already Pauley Wink

so no takers?

FYI, I'll be flushing the brake system on the Firebird tomorrow after installing the Mark Williams brake kit designed to be used with 15" beadlock wheels after which I'll refill with DOT5 again.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
definitely using your brakes for more than slowing down to turn off the track. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
quote:

ep

that says you know why you have two pedals rather than one but I knew that already Pauley Wink

so no takers?

FYI, I'll be flushing the brake system on the Firebird tomorrow after installing the Mark Williams brake kit designed to be used with 15" beadlock wheels after which I'll refill with DOT5 again.
That PAULEY is a bad man....

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
This is where your brake fluid goes Razz

Posts: 2103 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'll be there are some here that don't know where their master cylinder(s) are. Wink

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I direct your attention to item #4 Big Grin

So the Firebird's brake system has been flushed and fill again with DOT5 fluid after installing the new Mark Williams rear brake kit and new Weld Alpha-1 beadlock wheels.

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Well, lets make one thing clear for all. You can't compress a fluid. If your brakes are spongy, it's either air or piss poor brake lines. It's not the number on the bottle.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
One other thing. They made 5.1 to replace 5 for everyone except edward.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post