DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Race video taping camera suggestions please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Race video taping camera suggestions please
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, anyone have a recommendation for a good video camera to shoot drag race launches? I reckon something with a high frame rate, and maybe that can play back the video in slow motion.

I know many of you just use smartphones, but I rather loathe the ergonomics of that method.

What software is good? Just Windows Movie Maker or something?

I wish to shoot slow-motion videos of my buddies launching and-- hopefully I can hand them my camera and they'll return the favor. ;^)

I'll do an online search, but maybe someone has a model they particularly like.
Thanks!,
Troy

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I am going to experiment with a Go-Pro this year. I think there is a lot to learn. I have an Ion camera on my car now. I am not sure if they are still made. I like the tubular shape of them.

For editing software, I have been using Lightworks. It is free and there is a lot of tutorials on you tube for it.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has a pair of sun glasses with a camera built in it. I don't know where he got it.
video and audio is clear as a bell. I was impressed. Small tiny camera sits right in the middle. Looks like regular sun glasses. Don't even know its there.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
Most I know just use the camera on their phones. They will slow mo pretty good

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post
A small tripod that will hold your phone will do a great job. I have used GoPro’s in the past but these new phones are catching up .

Posts: 394 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
I use a GoPro on a small tripod at 720fps setting.

I use Avidemux software [free!] for playback. You can go frame by frame to really see what your car is going off the line.

Posts: 413 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I use a replay XD in the car as a poor man's data recorder, and a gopro sometimes as well. If I have help when I'm making runs, I have them record the run with my big boy camera, a Cannon EOS8D. I just play back the recording with media player and can look at it that way. Video is super clear and I can capture stills if I want.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
A newer IPhone with the slow motion 250FPS camera works pretty well when you open the video in Quicktime. You can go frame by frame and see tire crush, chassis flex, and how much time between transbrake off and breaking the stage beam, rollout, etc.
I video'd a friend's monoleaf Nova once and the rear axle was moving around more than Shakira's fanny at the Super Bowl.
The tripod is a good idea as I'm not very steady one-handing the phone with my other finger stuck in my ear...

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post