Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    APD 2 Circuit Alcohol Carb Gaskets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APD 2 Circuit Alcohol Carb Gaskets
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted
Need to replace the metering block gaskets on our APD 2 circuit 4500 Holley alcohol carb. Anyone know the part # for the metering block gaskets and have a good source to buy a 10 pack?

Posts: 121 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1497 | Location: Charlotte, TN. U.S.*** | Registered: June 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
Any 4150 gasket is the correct layout.

Posts: 7839 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of bracketracer
posted Hide Post
Contact Nomad on here..He has some real nice gaskets from Interface..A bit expensive but they hold up way better than those^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posts: 444 | Location: N.J. | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies, I will get in touch with Nomad before buying any.

Posts: 121 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted Hide Post
Not trying to high Jake your thread, but ?, what's the difference between the APD 1050 2 & 3 cercuit alky carbs? I have a 3!

Posts: 800 | Location: Bloomfield, Indiana | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 595X:
Not trying to high Jake your thread, but ?, what's the difference between the APD 1050 2 & 3 cercuit alky carbs? I have a 3!

A three circuit has an intermediate circuit. It feeds fuel through the little tube sticking into the venturi. The metering blocks are different.

Posts: 357 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Scott Smith
posted Hide Post
I would assume the 3 circuit also has the 5/8" thick blocks that have the divorced idle circuit so the idle tubes don't restrict the fuel in the main wells.

Posts: 7839 | Location: Montgomery Al. USA | Registered: October 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The problem in the past is you couldn't get enough methanol through 3 circuit metering blocks because of the idle feed tubes in the maknwells. Now using billet blocks with relocated idle circuits you can effectively use the intermediate circuit with methanol.

The gaskets nomad has are the latest ones from Quick Fuel. Be carful of the BPT gaskets, while they look similar to the ones BLP sells they are NOT the same, the BPT gaskets do not hold up well. BLP gaskets are the same material as Quick Fuel but with a different coating, either work well.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/index.php

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted Hide Post
OK, so which is the preferred alky 1050, 2 or 3 cercuit & why?

Posts: 800 | Location: Bloomfield, Indiana | Registered: February 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of silver bullet
posted Hide Post
quote:

A wallet that's about $600 lighter. Smile
I sent an APD 2 circuit in and paid the $600 to have it converted to the 3 circuit setup since it was supposed to be good for an extra 20-30 hp. It ran the exact same ET and MPH as before. I couldn't tell any difference at all in the way it ran.

Posts: 180 | Location: mississippi | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted Hide Post
What jets did they put in it? They put 192's in mine & sent some 195's with it also!

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
My feeling is as long as the passages will pass sufficient fuel is a reasonably good fuel curve with two circuits you benefit because all the fuel exits the boosters, the boosters provide better atomization of the fuel. When the airflow demands rise enough when using methanol, as in a 1250 or larger carb, the passages through the booster can't be made large enough to pass sufficient fuel. Moving the intermediate tube up higher and using newer 3 circuit blocks will allow it st supplement the main metering to get sufficient fuel.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/index.php

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silver bullet:
quote:

A wallet that's about $600 lighter. Smile
I sent an APD 2 circuit in and paid the $600 to have it converted to the 3 circuit setup since it was supposed to be good for an extra 20-30 hp. It ran the exact same ET and MPH as before. I couldn't tell any difference at all in the way it ran.

Almost 30hp on mine (1250 on 598) and also 5 hundreths. One thing the 3 likes is plenty of fuel pressure (10-12 on tbrake with belt drive) instead of the normal 7-8.

David Lanning

Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406

Wiseco Performance
http://www.wiseco.com/

Lanning Electric
APD, BTE, Digital Delay, Hughes, Reid & Trans Specialties Dealer

Posts: 5164 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of silver bullet
posted Hide Post
Mine came with 192 jets. I have an electric pump....but they knew that also. I never could get the carb to do right. It was very difficult to get the car to start and idle. Also, it would go dead at the end of a pass when slowing down unless you kept a foot on both pedals.

Posts: 180 | Location: mississippi | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by silver bullet:
Mine came with 192 jets. I have an electric pump....but they knew that also. I never could get the carb to do right. It was very difficult to get the car to start and idle. Also, it would go dead at the end of a pass when slowing down unless you kept a foot on both pedals.

So what was wrong & how did you fix it? & what did APD recommend you do to it?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of silver bullet
posted Hide Post
At first they said adjust idle mixture screws. That didn't help. Then they said to change idle air bleeds. That didn't help. Then they said to change hi speed air bleeds. That didn't help.
Then they said to jet it down. That didn't help. Then they said to lower the floats. That didn't help. I got frustrated with it and bought a brand new Quickfuel 2 circuit. It worked absolutely perfect straight out of the box. Ran identical ET and mph as the APD 3 circuit (so obviously the 3 circuit didn't give me any additional hp for my $600)....but the driveability was much better and no more going dead at the finish line. Needless to say, the Quickfuel is still on the car.
When I would call APD to get help, the people on the other end always seemed to be in a rush to get me off the phone. (With the exception of John....he was never nice). The guys at Quickfuel were much more laid back. May just be a southern hospitality thing...I don't know. This was just my experience. Others have different opinions...but this one is mine Smile

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would call back I know John will make it right...mine also was faster by about .05 in the 1/8

Posts: 91 | Location: Jackson | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 595X
posted Hide Post
Same issues as above, Joe told me today to turn idle screws out 1/2 turn & if that don't help go up or down on jets! Hum

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Just remember ... these carbs like lots of fuel and a good fuel supply system. I had one last year, guy swore up and down it was junk, tossed it on a similar combo, it worked great. The difference ... one fuel system had a big port regulator the other a small port (both magna fuel). The little things matter sometimes, not saying thats either of your problems but fuel supply is a big issue on most the cars that have issues (with any brand of carb really)

Either way .. John, Randy, Joe, Chris ... all very much go out of their way to help customers who are willing to do what they ask or want them to try to fix whatever issue it may be.

David Lanning

Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406

Wiseco Performance
http://www.wiseco.com/

Lanning Electric
APD, BTE, Digital Delay, Hughes, Reid & Trans Specialties Dealer

Posts: 5164 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post