DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2003 LB7 Injectors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 LB7 Injectors
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
Getting ready to install my third set of injectors. Just about 190K for miles. Has anyone stepped outside the Bosch box for something different? I don't think I want to up the HP as it has plenty just because of the current mileage. Yes I am doing it myself this time. New lines, cups, o rings etc.
I did install the Hastings full size water fuel separator at the rear tank so everything gets filter'd further before it hits the main tank. I did run the GM cleaner through and even filled the filter 100% and fired it, let it set and then drove the heck out of it. Don't really think it did anything. I do use Stanadyne cleaner also. Just looking for some information.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of deadon1578
posted Hide Post
I have a 2004 Duramax, 90,000 on and never replaced injectors. I have always run Justice Brothers Diesel Fuel conditioner. Have 2 friends who are Justice Brothers Distributors who have more miles than me with same vehicle and never replaced injectors. Are we lucky? I don't know, but 3 2004 trucks and no issues, I'll keep using it!

Posts: 46 | Location: md | Registered: July 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
I just had them put in my 2001 and 2002 in the last three weeks. Neal Church (NFC on DRR) did it for me. He used a set from Pensacola Fuel Injection. Ill check the part numbers later. He said that he has used them on several and hasn't had any complaints.

FYI - if anyone around NC or VA needs them replaced, his price is hard to beat!

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadon1578:
I have a 2004 Duramax, 90,000 on and never replaced injectors. I have always run Justice Brothers Diesel Fuel conditioner. Have 2 friends who are Justice Brothers Distributors who have more miles than me with same vehicle and never replaced injectors. Are we lucky? I don't know, but 3 2004 trucks and no issues, I'll keep using it!

I thought I was lucky too. Within a few weeks both my 2001 and 2002 started showing signs. With the 2002 I started smelling fuel when I would get out of the truck. Within a few days the pan had filled up with diesel. The 2001 started to smoke at an idle right around that same time. It would have probably been fine for a while, but after struggling to find a trailer to get the 2002 to the shop I decided Id just leave both of them with him and be done with the headache.

FYI, the 2002 never smoked - it just filled the pan up. The 2001 never filled the pan up, it just smoked! Funny how they both had different symptoms.

Edit to add - 2001 has 145k miles. 2002 has 115k miles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: head gamez,

Mikey

Posts: 1706 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My 2001 smoked at idle. I felt bad for the people behind me at a stop light when I took off lol. Never saw any significant amounts diesel in the oil

Posts: 2407 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Look into Lincoln Diesel.
Get bosch with sac tips, they are redesigned and suppose to be a lot better.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
My 2003 is on its 3rd set of injectors at 87,000 miles. My fault not driving it enough based on what the Duramax Guru Tony Rizzy told me. His crew replaced my 6 port injectors with 7 port injectors last year and my truck thinks it is a beast now. Not sure of the manufacturer make but they are bad to the bone with the additional 15% fuel each pulse. I will make it a point to drive my truck at least 1 time a week to avoid the failed injector issues again.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 433red:
My 2003 is on its 3rd set of injectors at 87,000 miles. My fault not driving it enough based on what the Duramax Guru Tony Rizzy told me. His crew replaced my 6 port injectors with 7 port injectors last year and my truck thinks it is a beast now. Not sure of the manufacturer make but they are bad to the bone with the additional 15% fuel each pulse. I will make it a point to drive my truck at least 1 time a week to avoid the failed injector issues again.

I drive the doo doo out of mine. If it’s not towing it’s on a road trip. Back and forth to work 43 miles round since 03 and retired year before last July. My partner in racing (Darren) has the same truck with 60 K on it. Just replaced his first set. So is it just time or just bad design? I’ve read all the cleaner filter and use only GM filters..better lift pumps etc etc.. Its a bad design in my opinion however, I really like the truck! It’s bad Azz. No oil leaks, no oil usage, no trans leaks...and it’s very comfortable.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
I had a early 2004 LB7 that had over 300K, never had injector issues. My dad's 2003 same thing.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by superpro54:
I had a early 2004 LB7 that had over 300K, never had injector issues. My dad's 2003 same thing.

Wow I wish! Maybe fuel difference?

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
quote:

We both always added a qt of ATF to a full tank of fuel every oil change.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

We both always added a qt of ATF to a full tank of fuel every oil change.

I've heard of that. I have ran non syn 2 stroke oil and yes it did quiet it down and it did run maybe a little better. Ca diesel just sucks. Or should i say; low sulpher? I know there are a shyt load of snake oils out there but no good data.

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know with a Durmax either has had to put injectors in or is fixin' to have to put a set in. Makes me want to run right out to buy one. Our shop truck at work, going on it's second set at 140,000. Boss paid the dealer to put them in, $7900 and change. We don't have time to mess with it at work so someone else gets to do it. Our next truck will be a gas burner for sure, and probably a Ford-based on the "luck" (and expense) we've had out of this Chevy. Friend of ours has an airboat powered by an LLY which is neat, and is a great application for a diesel (full load, full speed continually)-and he's on his 3rd set of injectors in 3 years.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So where is everyone getting their injectors from? Im about to put a set in my 03 LB7 in the next 2 weeks. Been looking everywhere for the best deal. I cant fathom spending 3k on them though if they are just gonna go bad. BTW I can and have replaced them myself. So labor is free.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephensx04:
So where is everyone getting their injectors from? Im about to put a set in my 03 LB7 in the next 2 weeks. Been looking everywhere for the best deal. I cant fathom spending 3k on them though if they are just gonna go bad. BTW I can and have replaced them myself. So labor is free.

Mine came from Pensacola Fuel Injection. Think they were $149 each.

Mikey

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mavman:
Everyone I know with a Durmax either has had to put injectors in or is fixin' to have to put a set in. Makes me want to run right out to buy one. Our shop truck at work, going on it's second set at 140,000. Boss paid the dealer to put them in, $7900 and change. We don't have time to mess with it at work so someone else gets to do it. Our next truck will be a gas burner for sure, and probably a Ford-based on the "luck" (and expense) we've had out of this Chevy. Friend of ours has an airboat powered by an LLY which is neat, and is a great application for a diesel (full load, full speed continually)-and he's on his 3rd set of injectors in 3 years.

Later than 04 I hear is fine. My sons 05 has a boat load of miles no issues.

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My '05 LLY broke a piston at 104,999 miles due to a faulty injector. I replaced that injector and one other when the new long block went in.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
quote:

My '05 LLY broke a piston at 104,999 miles due to a faulty injector. I replaced that injector and one other when the new long block went in.

Lenny, Did you by chance have a programmer? or stock? Hate to hear that stuff!!

Raceless in California!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from Pensacola injection which i believe is the same as Pensacola diesel.
Just do a quick search for reviews on them.

Lincoln diesel is a quality seller.

Get on some of the duramax forums and do a search, there are some quality replacement that have a new resigned nozzle that is suppose to do away with the design flaws of the bosh nozzle.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Ken MacNicol
posted Hide Post
I was told to make sure the replacement injectors come from Bosch certified remanufacturing place.

Posts: 38 | Location: Hendersonville, Tenn. | Registered: December 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post