DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shock absorber oil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shock absorber oil
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Is Redline 5W a decent choice for shock oil ? Mid low 10 second door car 3800lbs foot and transbrake . Radial tyre . Street/strip
I want to change oil in my QA1 fronts , Viking rears .Never changed them .
About how much ? Redline is 16oz container .
I am in Aus so choice is narrow and it seems like Secret Sam trying to find answers.
TIA

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Motorcycle shops, mate. G'day

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1647 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Goob are you saying just use a mc fork oil ? I have heard that . BUT lookingat tech info their drop off at temp seems worse . Though rated @ 5W the viscosity is quite a lot lower

Tex

Posts: 62 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
also price point isntmuch difference
oh and thanks for the reply

Tex

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thanks 1320 , but shipping may be a little expensive .
Interesting reading the tech sheet

Tex

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Farm implements us hydraulic fluid, although I'm not familiar with the viscosity they have available and weather they would be appropriate. Store sales would likely require too large of a quantity but you might approach a tractor repair shop and they might sell a small amount. Just an outside thought. Don't think you would want a motor oil as you alluded to.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i dont know anything about this but from the answers given it would seem the mc fork oil would be the logical choice if it is close at hand

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thanks all , Will go path of least resistance and use Redline

Thanks

Tex

DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
G,day Tex,
you can get the maxima stuff no problems over here in Aust.
Cheers
Paul

Posts: 40 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
thanks Paul.
Oil ordered . 1 shock stripped down , oil is old and dark .Actually even easier than it seemed . So if unhappy I can always go to a 10W heavier oil

Tex

DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
thats the go!

Posts: 40 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post