New
Find
Notify
Tools

12v connection
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Helping a friend upgrade a 1965 Ford PU which he received from his father. Been in family since new. We installed a new 300 Ford straight six. Now we have put a "Sniper FI" system on it and working out the "bugs". WE need help in keeping 12v to fuel pump when starting. Original ignition switch. We connected a wire to back of switch that has 12v when in "on", but when starter engaged, this drops to @9v. Can someone help us find a way to keep 12v to the system without the voltage drop on start. Would like to have all activated through the original ignition switch. HELP!!

Posts: 74 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
Pump wired through a relay powered straight to the battery. Trigger with the ignition switch.

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 295 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My though was the same as TheBlueTruck's. Of course the battery voltage is going to dip when supplying the starter regardless of the fuel pump being wired direct. Just as in today's cars, allow the pump to achieve pressure and shut off before initial starting. And, I would suggest you get a battery with the highest CCA/CA you can afford.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I hooked up about a half dozen of these, why don't you use a relay off the blue wire on the sniper? It has power anytime the sniper "on" wire has power.

Joe
Ps if your fuel pump is small and draws less then 15 amps you can hook it directly to the "blue" wire.

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post