DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What Driveshaft, and What Length?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Driveshaft, and What Length?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
The 68 Camaro roller I am setting up has been back-halved with a 9 Inch rear and Ladder Bars.
It was used with a BBC/Glide by the previous owner. I am going with that same combo. I did not get a driveshaft with the car.
Two Questions for ya:
1. Whose shaft would you guys recommend? (This will be an over-tired, under-powered car by today's standards. 32x14 tire, 900-950-ish HP).
2. How do I measure for the proper driveshaft length, once the engine and trans are in the car? Should I set the ladder bars at the middle hole, and rear axle at mid-range of travel? Do I measure from tailshaft end to centerline of yoke saddle on rear?
As always, thanks in advance for your advice and guidance! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
The 68 Camaro roller I am setting up has been back-halved with a 9 Inch rear and Ladder Bars.
It was used with a BBC/Glide by the previous owner. I am going with that same combo. I did not get a driveshaft with the car.
Two Questions for ya:
1. Whose shaft would you guys recommend? (This will be an over-tired, under-powered car by today's standards. 32x14 tire, 900-950-ish HP).
2. How do I measure for the proper driveshaft length, once the engine and trans are in the car? Should I set the ladder bars at he middle hole, and rear axle at mid-range of travel? Do I measure from tailshaft end to centerline of yoke saddle on rear?
As always, thanks in advance for your advice and guidance! Wink

Measure from the center of the U joint cap on the pinion yoke, to the backside of the tailhousing. If the driveshaft company can't work with that, you're at the wrong place.

Driveshaft brand depends on your budget.

If I have 1000 hp, I want a driveshaft good for 2000 hp.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mark Williams and follow their guide as to how to measure

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It ain't a bad idea to slide the yoke all the way in and pull it back out an inch, measure center cap to center cap.

To verify the yoke slides all the way in the tailhousing.

You can do it either way, some T400 (out of RV's) won't slide in without work done on the output shaft)

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Mike that is pretty much the way I was taught. Except some times a little different if its a jacked up 4X4.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What Ed said.....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 985 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Place the car on a 4 post lift or on boxes so the chassis is loaded. Then measure from tail housing to flat of rear yoke.
I bought a Strange driveshaft and they have a guide on their site for measuring as does MW.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mark Williams and Rossler Transmissions have the best explanations of driveshaft length and angles. Make sure the angle are correct BEFORE measuring for any length. Just my 2 cents.

BG

Posts: 758 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I have used precision shaft technologies twice with very good luck. Price and quality were very good and they will tell you how they want it measured.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I don't buy parts with the hope of being lucky, especially driveline parts that when they fail will result in costly repairs if not wrecking your car.

Mark Williams is the gold standard of drag racing driveline components.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I have a new Mark Williams driveshaft. It's got about six licks on it now. It fit well and as it's moly it's a bit lighter. It fit just right. And it matches the brakes.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post