Find
Notify
Tools

Oil change
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Just curious of anyone uses the oil change setups where you stick the tube down the dipstick and suck all the oil out?

Can see how it would make changing the oil alot easier, not having to jack the car up and drop the diaper. Would definitely look at relocating the oil filter if this makes it easier.

Pro/cons, any suggested setups?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have one of those fumoto drain valves on my car and a vacuum fluid extractor. I just put it on the nipple of the drain, open the valve, and hook the air up to the vac pump. Works like a charm.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Race engines don’t have dip stick tubes. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Colorado, Which vacuum set up to you have? Good idea on that valve.

Also will be using it for all my other vehicles, seems like it would make it alot less messy.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
who changes their own oil in passenger cars today, not one person I know. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
who changes their own oil in passenger cars today, not one person I know.

O'IT!

I do Razz

Do the entire fleet of daily drivers, seven cars. Has nothing to do with cost just the convenience factor, takes less time doing it myself than having to go to someone. Plus people suck and cant be trusted to even change oil these days......

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I change oil like that in my boat Big Grin

Not a fan of sucking out oil, but it does works. I like to see the magnet on the drain plug personally. Not a fan of remote oil filter kits either, the lines always seem to get in the way of things.

JMO ............

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
who changes their own oil in passenger cars today, not one person I know.

O'IT!

I do Razz

Do the entire fleet of daily drivers, seven cars. Has nothing to do with cost just the convenience factor, takes less time doing it myself than having to go to someone. Plus people suck and cant be trusted to even change oil these days......

My feeling as well. If I have to stand around while someone does my work, I may as well do my work.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6353 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
No way I am trusting a temp agency employee to change my oil.

Posts: 287 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have used the vac method. Makes it easier if you run a diaper that is not easily moved.

Works just takes longer and you dont get the inspection of the plug. I just did an oil change and found part of a snapring on the plug....found that #8 rocker was missing a snapring.

Filter had nothing in it, and replaced snapring and raced all weekend.

Posts: 1433 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bob, life is too short to be wasting time doing shyt like that. Relax, enjoy life a little more. I haven’t changed the oil on my daily drivers in 3 decades! My cars still under warranty go to the dealer, my truck goes to Joe L. When I had a boat, didn’t do the oil change on that either. I bought the boat new and for fun, not to work on it.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
He!! I am 80 years old and change my own oil in everything I own from lawn mower to diesel pusher and everything else. Hope I never get so lazy or cheap that I can't do that. My race car don't have a dipstick either.

Posts: 6196 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the only dipstick near 1290 car is him

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 394 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Haters gonna hate Spitting

DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
We service everything (tractors, CTLs, mowers, 4 wheelers, SxSs, etc etc) except our daily drivers which go back to the dealers for service. We always buy new, and it pays to have a dealer service record.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of RTsr.
posted Hide Post
Same here at 83! I'm one of those old ****s that truly believes "if you want it done right...do it yourself", until you can't! Smile
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
He!! I am 80 years old and change my own oil in everything I own from lawn mower to diesel pusher and everything else. Hope I never get so lazy or cheap that I can't do that. My race car don't have a dipstick either.

RT
An "old" racer turned pit crew.

Posts: 11 | Location: ON Canada | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's hard to believe someone would pass judgement on someone else on a matter as mundane as changing oil. It's the most basic of personal choice.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Who “passed judgment”? Again, haters gonna hate.

Having my oil and fuel filter changed right now, tires rotated too. NahNahTounge No laying on my back, No mess, No having to find a place to take the used oil and filter, all the reasons why I quit doing it over 30 years ago! 35 minutes, $50 and I’m on my way. NahNahTounge

The only oil I change is that in my race engines, generator and golf cart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I get the "suck it out" method. I'm space limited in my garage and jacking up the race car is a pain. Daily's get oil changes at the local tire store, who also get my tire trade.

Use caution when selecting who does the oil change.

Back in the day when when I was the Motorpool/Roads Director my policy was that all marked police cars got oil changes at 3000 miles. To that end the Purchasing Agent made a deal with the local mid-eastern, English is a second language, oil change place to do changes on off hours. Sure as we argue on this forum, one of those humus eaters left the oil plug out of a new '94 Caprice traffic car. It got about five miles before that engine seized up. Owner didn't want to pay up but, did.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
I'm one who believes in the benefit of draining the oil, but I get it. Had to use a dipstick sucker on the boat...
Around here, there is not really a 30 minute oil change, unless you choose to trust the trainee making minimum wage at Oil Monkey to put the right filter on the way it is supposed to be, the drain plug installed properly, and the correct brand, viscosity and quantity of oil pumped into it. That is asking a lot... Eek
A trip to the dealer is about a half-day affair, if you include the wait, plus the drive to & from. So I change the oil on our daily's, and don't really mind doing it. Knowing it was done right is a plus. Nobody else works on the race car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post