DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Printing ticket car's driveshaft ratio
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Printing ticket car's driveshaft ratio
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
What's a good driveshaft ratio at the 1/8th stripe for consistency? Luke says more than 10% is not good. I have a brand new FTI that reads 19% according to Racepak. The worn out Trans Specialties was only 14.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
So if it is new you can get it restalled IF that is the "problem".
Not a lot be "worn out" in converters except bushings or torrintons.
Is the car faster or slower?
Is it the same?
Is it not repeating because of the converter, or is there something else in play?
Was the slip of the last converter with everything the same? Same fluid,tires, carb,etc.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
He means in a quarter mile. I don't know of any normal bracket car, that runs well, anywhere near 10% in an 1/8th mile.

18 - 19% is pretty common. Mine is near 19% when I run 4.40s at 155 mph.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software,

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
My bracket dragster with a FTI converter was about 22-24% slip in the 1/8th

My blown TD about that too in the 1/8th and anywhere from 7-4% in the 1/4 depending on conditions but I also have 3.70 gears so that helps keep it loose

Posts: 2426 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Mine is 19% in the 1/8 and very consistent. I prefer my converter to be on the loose side for consistency and performance. Would like it tighter than that but I think it kills it too much. I think if your car is 10% in the 1/8 it would probably be a dog.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I think if your car is 10% in the 1/8 it would probably be a dog.

There's nothing probably about it, there's rpm's.

If you're crossing in high gear at 7000 rpm with the converter slipping 0%, you're going way quicker and faster than if you're crossing 7000 rpm in high gear with the converter slipping 19%. Same car, same 2 speed transmission.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
In my experience, loose tends to be more consistent particularly with weather changes. Those numbers are not objectionable to me.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Any amount of converter efficiency at the stripe 1/8 or 1/4, is more consistent. It's not a subjective matter.

You want the driveshaft as close to 1 to 1 with the engine as you can get it, at the stripe 1/8 or 1/4.

For Super Pro bracket racing, it'll do everything better less slip at stripe. Slow down more precise / predictable ripping throttle.

Relatively speaking you want the converter inefficient early in the run and efficient late, for consistency.

Whoever Luke is , sounds like he's a tuner.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

You're a special kind of stupid.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:

You're a special kind of stupid.

Why so triggered Roger? Are you confused?

These are basic automobile performance fundamentals.

Common sense mostly.

"Relatively speaking you want the converter inefficient early in the run and efficient late, for consistency"

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the responses. My first thought was that I heard it wrong so I went back and listened again. Then I figured he must mean 1/4 mile but this is a video on the TIBR that's been up for a long time so I questioned my numbers because I've never compared mine to any others, until now. Thank you again for responding.

Mike, Luke Bogacki is a very accomplished, successful professional bracket/index racer that owns and operates This Is Bracket Racing. TIBR schools racers on all aspects of bracket racing at a cost of $99 per month but individual areas of instruction can be purchased too. I bought the tech bundle a month ago and that's where I watched the video on converters.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ron Gusack:
Thank you all for the responses. My first thought was that I heard it wrong so I went back and listened again. Then I figured he must mean 1/4 mile but this is a video on the TIBR that's been up for a long time so I questioned my numbers because I've never compared mine to any others, until now. Thank you again for responding.

Mike, Luke Bogacki is a very accomplished, successful professional bracket/index racer that owns and operates This Is Bracket Racing. TIBR schools racers on all aspects of bracket racing at a cost of $99 per month but individual areas of instruction can be purchased too. I bought the tech bundle a month ago and that's where I watched the video on converters.

Ideally for any distance, relatively speaking you want the converter inefficient early in the run and efficient late.

I figured that's who you were speaking of but wasn't sure. The emphasis of the point I was making, is it sounds like he gets it.

There's parts available over the counter, to accomplish an efficient converter 1/8 mile. Luke is a tuner, if he has traveled this road.

I suspect he has.

Known dimensions in automobile performance are subjective, relative the user.

Although automobile performance fundamentals itself, are objective.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you're crossing in high gear at 7000 rpm with the converter slipping 0%, you're going way quicker and faster than if you're crossing 7000 rpm in high gear with the converter slipping 19%. Same car, same 2 speed transmission.

I will play. You tell me how you get a stall of say 6400 to get it in powerband and out of the hole and have 0% slip in the 1/8 mile?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I will play. You tell me how you get a stall of say 6400 to get it in powerband and out of the hole and have 0% slip in the 1/8 mile?

The performance fundamental for converter slip is common sense.

If the driveshaft is turning 7000 rpm's 1 to 1 with the crankshaft at the stripe, any given car in play is going way faster, than if the same driveshaft is turning 5600 rpm's at the stripe.

Common sense right?

The difference in the two scenario's is common sense as well, Power.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
And a converter tight enough to get 0% in the 1/8 mile is going to be too tight to get good 60 foot and ET. Simple. Right? Wow.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Recently I have learned a there is a lot about converters and about how to achieve stall and how to get the car accelerating. You can easily have a car that will stall two different converters the exact same RPM and will E.T. .05 different in the 1/8. There are so many variables to play with in a converter, that is why if you are working with a company they try to ask all of the basic questions about the setup, that way they can get you where you want to be and it should be close. The less info you give the more they have to guess. That's why I laugh sometimes when I see guys who buy converter from company "A" and its slower than they hoped so they go to company "B" to get one and its a little quicker, but had they gone back to company "A" with their results from the converter they got the first time, it can really tell the builder a lot more about what the combo may want.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
And a converter tight enough to get 0% in the 1/8 mile is going to be too tight to get good 60 foot and ET. Simple. Right? Wow.

Wrong,

32" tire with enough power crosses at 8610 rpm's (before tire growth) 200 mph converter slipping 0% 4.10 gear.

You're clueless of basic performance fundamentals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
This is my 9" Cortina core converter pulling 3050 lbs with a bracket racing caliber sbc (7500rpm's) on a 275 dot radial.

Does the 60ft look slow? Converter slipping 6%

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Even assuming your numbers are right 6% is 1/8 is still a long way from 0%. Sounds to me like a Nitrous or blown motor where you can run a tighter converter. Many blown motors are close to 0% at finish line in 1/4 mile.
I think the OP was asking about a 1/8 mile Bracket motor combo.
Anyway I am done with you and this thread. Have a nice day.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even assuming your numbers are right 6% is 1/8 is still a long way from 0%. Sounds to me like a Nitrous or blown motor where you can run a tighter converter.

You started out talking 10%, I used 0% to indicate how wrong fundamentally your claims are.

The 8" opel core Transmission Specialties spragless converter I run in my Nova slips 7% dipping in the 5's N/A sbc at 3250 lbs. 1.27 60ft which is probably the quickest 60ft nationwide, for a car of its kind on a 10 x 28 bias tire n/a sbc.

You're clueless of basic automobile performance fundamentals.