DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BMF 385, repair/replace? 567" BBC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMF 385, repair/replace? 567" BBC
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I found a crack on my Super comp engine's head. It's a bmf 385 and has a crack under the stud boss on an end exhaust rocker. I have T&D's also. I've heard of this happening before, one guy welded his aluminum, then they added to the ends of the T&D stands so they extend to the end of the head and then added a cross bolt going into the end of the extended stand from the front/rear. Then tigged all of the rocker stands together.
Anyway we missed finding it over the winter and I'm weighing options, pistons aren't very old and just freshened so I'm not anxious to go into the short block for different heads. What do you think repair or replace?

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Canfield or Brodix castings?

Posts: 75 | Location: nitrousville | Registered: January 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD6297
posted Hide Post
If it is an older Canfield casting, I would recommend replacing them. I spent a bunch on mine and still ended up having to replace them.

Posts: 149 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Chris Razor @ Hy Tech Welding in Plymouth MI

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Not Canfield, I always thought they were Dart castings machined my cfe but could be Brodix.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
Early castings with plugs in end of head were Canfield, newer is or was Brodix

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No plugs in the ends. Apparently any of them can have this issue. I've heard of cfe and Dart cracking, apparently brodix castings also.
I'm leaning towards new heads. The crank, block, head castings and valves are original to the motor. It might make more sense to just replace the heads. Hi tech welding was also recommended by a friend.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I had mine welded up with the exact same problem, and it worked the 2nd time, when they added a bunch more weld material and machined the boss about .100 higher. Been running them a couple of years since then.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammertime:
Chris Razor @ Hy Tech Welding in Plymouth MI

I had to repair a boss on a pair of GM heads. Chris built a whole new boss out od weld.....it was a work of art.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
According to the numbers and cfe these are the canfield castings. The new bmf's have added material in the top and will require new T&D stands or mill the old ones. My choices are still to weld these, new conventional heads or a total redo of the engine.
I didn't get Chris called today but I still intend to. I was also reminded to check for coil bind, some springs are not as consistent.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
FWIW, we had a 582 with canfield casting that took out the whole engine due to a crack in the intake runner that leaked coolant into the cylinder and beat the bearing out of it at 400ft out..... just saying.

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Plan B is stay home this season, sell some 750 Hondas and work on my 69 firebird. Could happen.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, it's all carefully considered and appreciated. I left a message with Chris.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, Chris repaired the heads. The work is beautiful, he showed me a picture of the first weld, it's difficult burning the oil out of the porous metal. It was not pretty, then he worked his magic.
I can't say enough to thank him, he explained the process and the end result is amazing. I doubt you would find a nicer of more professional person in the business.
There are Canfield castings without the plugs in the end. These are some, it seems the ones with the end plugs might be better than the ones without. The thinking is there may be porosity due to trapped gas in the molten metal when cast.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Tony Bischoff at BES in Gilford Indiana repaired the BMF 385 (Brodix) heads on my 582.

(812) 576-2371

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post